18" 1500 Brake squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So some back story. 1st I am new to the forum here and there is tons of great information! I bought a new to me Certified Pre Owned 18' 1500 5.7 Ram. Crew Cab 3.92 gears with 42000 miles. Drove the truck off the lot and a few days later noticed a brake squeak which I suspect is coming from the rear. Only present when braking below 40 MPH. the CPO program added 3MO 3000MI bumper to bumper and 7YR 100,000MI powertrain. Do you guys think the squeak would be covered under the Bumper to Bumper? I am wondering if the squeak is from the pads vibrating and maybe just need to be greased. But with it having warranty and it went through their CPO 125 point inspection, I don't feel I should have to take the wheels off to try and diagnose. Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance, Cheers!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could be a lot of things but unfortunately you’re gonna have to pull the wheels to inspect your brakes. And who knows, it may be a simple fix of going to the parts store and get you some of that brake grease and removing your calipers so that you can lube up the backside of your pads and then put them back on which may take care of it or, you could do what I plan to do one of these days which is just get rid of the factory crap and put some really good brakes on there with much better rotors and much better pads.

Breaks are easy; there’s no reason to rely on warranty to keep factory crap on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my '18 6 months ago with 31k on it. Brakes squeaked, very annoying. Pulled the rear brakes apart, the pads were jammed in the carriers and couldn't move. Cleaned everything up and greased the contact points. Good as new.

Fast forward a couple months, first oil change and tire rotation. Decided to check out the front brakes, same thing.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So some back story. 1st I am new to the forum here and there is tons of great information! I bought a new to me Certified Pre Owned 18' 1500 5.7 Ram. Crew Cab 3.92 gears with 42000 miles. Drove the truck off the lot and a few days later noticed a brake squeak which I suspect is coming from the rear. Only present when braking below 40 MPH. the CPO program added 3MO 3000MI bumper to bumper and 7YR 100,000MI powertrain. Do you guys think the squeak would be covered under the Bumper to Bumper? I am wondering if the squeak is from the pads vibrating and maybe just need to be greased. But with it having warranty and it went through their CPO 125 point inspection, I don't feel I should have to take the wheels off to try and diagnose. Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance, Cheers!

Man .....I don't really have an answer for ya.....but welcome to the forum...... and honestly i would pull the wheels off and check myself , just so i know what's going on
then even if you decide to take it to the dealer they can't BS you....

OP
OP
RamHemi18

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you guys. SO it sounds like most likely they just need some grease, probably missed in inspection :p . I can do the work, Just annoying. The bumper to bumper would cover the expensive stuff if it was failed, but I doubt greasing it would be. Sounds like I need to make a trip to Auto-zone

Never had a vehicle with rear discs before and this is my first ram, are the rears pretty easy to get off? I'm sure there are youtube videos out there on it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you guys. SO it sounds like most likely they just need some grease, probably missed in inspection :p . I can do the work, Just annoying. The bumper to bumper would cover the expensive stuff if it was failed, but I doubt greasing it would be. Sounds like I need to make a trip to Auto-zone

Never had a vehicle with rear discs before and this is my first ram, are the rears pretty easy to get off? I'm sure there are youtube videos out there on it.

Here’s a good video but it’s really quite unnecessary because there’s not much to it to pull the rear rotors off even though you’ve got brake shoes in there as well for your parking brakes because you just pull the rotor off pretty much the same way you do the front ones.

OP
OP
RamHemi18

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here’s a good video but it’s really quite unnecessary because there’s not much to it to pull the rear rotors off even though you’ve got brake shoes in there as well for your parking brakes because you just pull the rotor off pretty much the same way you do the front ones.

Thank you I will give this a look.
I appreciate the input everyone!

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rotors shouldn't need to come off anyway. Just pull the calipers and caliper bracket. The bracket and pads will need dressed up and greased.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You never grease brake pads I hope you know that, and no way are brake squeaks covered by any warranty. if a brake squeaks w/o touching brake pedal that is usually sticky caliper that drags, but if it squeaks when you push pedal it can be the warning clip that brake pads have. One would expect at 40k miles those are what is squeaking. I'd say 75% chance at 40k you don't need rotor work, so go get some wagner oex pads known to be quiet and change the pads, and you should do a brake fluid change. minor brake job time, even a shop should be well under 500 for this service. 2 hours labor plus parts, but most chain shops would have a set price for this, cost goes up if other work is needed, but at 40k miles likely this is all you need. it is advisable to do wheel bearings, but that alone adds two more hours to the labor and can drive up costs.

as the brake pad wears, the clip digs into rotor, but it doesnt hurt rotor where pad rides. the pad is the portion with the dashes on it, so if it is worn to clip, time to change pads.

3f%2f80%2f22%2f28%2f31%2fmedium%2f0996b43f80222831.gif

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You never grease brake pads I hope you know that, and no way are brake squeaks covered by any warranty. if a brake squeaks w/o touching brake pedal that is usually sticky caliper that drags, but if it squeaks when you push pedal it can be the warning clip that brake pads have. One would expect at 40k miles those are what is squeaking. I'd say 75% chance at 40k you don't need rotor work, so go get some wagner oex pads known to be quiet and change the pads, and you should do a brake fluid change. minor brake job time, even a shop should be well under 500 for this service. 2 hours labor plus parts, but most chain shops would have a set price for this, cost goes up if other work is needed, but at 40k miles likely this is all you need. it is advisable to do wheel bearings, but that alone adds two more hours to the labor and can drive up costs.

as the brake pad wears, the clip digs into rotor, but it doesnt hurt rotor where pad rides. the pad is the portion with the dashes on it, so if it is worn to clip, time to change pads.

3f%2f80%2f22%2f28%2f31%2fmedium%2f0996b43f80222831.gif

I would hope that everybody would be on the same page when it comes to the grease that you put that on the backside of the pad between the caliper and the steel back plate of the pad.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At 40k, if one needed new pads I'd be suspect of the driver's habits. Mine are nowhere near needed changed yet.

All contact surfaces (aside from rotor/pad interface, obviously) should be given a light smear of brake grease.

PS - Always apply a touch of anti-seize to your spark plugs.

OP
OP
RamHemi18

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you for the input guys

Yes I know not to grease the mating surface of the pad where it meets the rotor. I've done front brakes on small cars before but never rear discs on a larger truck. I don't believe the pads are ready to be changed, but maybe I am wrong. Ill know more when I get them apart. I think the slides and pins just need some love. The noise will go away with different brake pedal pressures. I am thinking it is vibration. Being CPO it should have at least 50% life left on the pad if they stuck to the guidelines they're supposed to follow.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At 40k, if one needed new pads I'd be suspect of the driver's habits. Mine are nowhere near needed changed yet.

All contact surfaces (aside from rotor/pad interface, obviously) should be given a light smear of brake grease.

PS - Always apply a touch of anti-seize to your spark plugs.

At just under 32,000 miles, my brakes don’t even look like they’ve taken on any wear but I’m awful tempted to one of these days go ahead and put all new pads and rotors on just because number one, I think I’d like to try either a drilled or slotted or both rotor along with some much better pads. The stock are pretty much fine, they don’t squeak or nothing except for when you’re coming to a stop and you get to a stop, and if you let the truck roll ever so slightly it’ll make kind of a chattering sound that sounds like the rotors need to be polished or something for lack of better terms.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not sure what we think counts, get down there and look, average brake life is 25k to 60k miles, so anyway you want to chalk it up they need to be checked, if they squeak every time you press brakes, you need to check wear indicator.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From model to model brake life is very subject to change, but from what I see on my truck with OE pads I'd suspect 80k isn't outrageous on the front pads. I forget how thick my rears are, but they'll certainly go 60.

My 08 Jeep Grand went just shy of 100k on the factory front brakes, rears were 60k for the OE and the same for the replacements I put on. It was rather funny to me how close many others with the same platform fell to the same 100/60.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your back brakes wear faster then your front? You have a brake bias dial in your truck? In my life, I never seen rear pads burn faster then front.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your back brakes wear faster then your front? You have a brake bias dial in your truck? In my life, I never seen rear pads burn faster then front.

Correct..........always the other way around..........at least for me?

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unsure if that will be the case in the truck. Time will tell.

In my Jeep, yes. There was more input to the rear brakes for trac/stability control.

Of course the front brakes do more work, but the service life is dependent on the size of the components.

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2004 chevy Express van always wears out the rear pads twice as fast as he fronts. Every three years, new rear calipers like clockwork. Only one set of front calipers in 17 years 113k. Always thought it was weird.

Only 31k on my 18 Ram Express and nothing to report on those brakes yet, had it since new.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2015 had a squeak pretty much ever since I had it (had 28K when purchased). The only time I really heard it was when the window was down at the drive-thru, etc.

Changed pads at 111K, they still had about 3/16 or so of pad life. Wagner Thermoquiets were what I went with. Squeak is gone now. Have heard OEX are great pads as well.

I have used Wagners at least 7 or 8 times over the years, and never a problem whatsoever.