18" vs 20" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
First off, I'm old and never been a fan of the larger wheels, 20". I have requested 18" wheels on the Laramie when the order is placed in a couple of weeks. Just curious if any of you know of any pros and cons for the 18"? Thanks.

TheKenster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm old too but I'm thinking just the opposite. I have 18s but want 20s. Or maybe I just want my truck to sit higher. Maybe both.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 20s will have the truck sit .52" lower (-1.04 / 2), If the 20s were the same 65 aspect ratio then it would raise the truck.

View attachment 164282

I believe the stock tire size for 20's on the 5th gens is 275/55/20 which would certainly change a few things.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I believe the stock tire size for 20's on the 5th gens is 275/55/20 which would certainly change a few things.

Thanks for clearing that up, I hate trying to do anything internet on the phone.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for clearing that up, I hate trying to do anything internet on the phone.

No problem! And I agree, I still have a good old desktop for most things, I just find it much easier and more enjoyable than using a phone.

BC9696

Reaction score
So. OC-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I had 20s on my old Ram (red)View attachment 164352 View attachment 164352 IMG_1356.JPG and switched to 18s on my new one. The additional rubber on the Toyos with the 18s makes the ride gentler and regardless which wheel you select, you do not gain or lose any clearance. Once the rubber is on, it's all the same. So do you want more metal or more rubber?

RONDY3.jpg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem! And I agree, I still have a good old desktop for most things, I just find it much easier and more enjoyable than using a phone.

DITTO on the desktop. My interior parts old, when my son upgrades his unit, I get his old motherboard, etc, so I go from Real old, to a lil old on PC, LMAO. Recently had to replace fan and Vid card keeping this ole Tower running.....

BC9696: I am either gonna go to LTX Michelin or TOYO's and get rid of friggin SRA's. Awaiting $$$$$ from the Money Tree, LOL.. Running stock 18's on stock rims...

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Most 18 inch after market wheels won't clear the calipers so if you are changing wheels keep that in mind. I use stock 18s for winter tires and 20s for summer. Ride is better with 18s and so is mpg.

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Good information about the 18" aftermarket wheels. I don't anticipate changing wheels
Most 18 inch after market wheels won't clear the calipers so if you are changing wheels keep that in mind. I use stock 18s for winter tires and 20s for summer. Ride is better with 18s and so is mpg.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
a516962d1dba7ed379382005895c1074.jpg

Mine came with base wheels on my Laramie and I’ve since switched several times. This is my current set with Toyo AT / II in 275/70 fitment. My last set were Toyo in LT 295/70 and what I have in my garage are brand new 275/65/18 Cooper tires.

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
More sidewall rubber gives you a less responsive steering though the ride may be a bit better. Bigger wheel, less rubber better steering and handling though the ride may stiffen a bit. Most of the difference will be negligible.

sierraangler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
20" rims use lower profile tires so you will end up with close to the same total height as the 18". 20's with the lower profile tires will handle better on fast turns and abrupt maneuvers but 18's will have a smoother ride.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i'm old too. first time I've had 20s on a truck and I love them looks of them, no prob with the feel of them. the only issue i have with them is the price of rubber for 20's versus 17's. Haven't had a reason to research 18's. My block has at least 2 dozen trucks on it and I bet at least a dozen of them are Rams. I've looked at all their tires to see what I like. They range from 17s to one truck with at least 35s huge lift and the tires look like they are 14 inches wide with some of those rims you see you on rice rockets where the lip of the rim sticks out beyond the tire. I think as i've gotten used to the look of the 20's it's grown on me. Some people used to look at the tires I had on my 2003 Tacoma and called them balloon tires or clown car tires (16s. they were a lot of rubber on that little truck:)). I guess if one day I go to aftermarket rims on this truck I would probably go to 17s to save money all the way around. Its all just so damn expensive in canada. When I bought my steel black powdercoated pro comp rims, toyo tires and nut and locknut set from 4wheel parts in california and brought across the border, it cost me 900 canadian plus 60 duties for tires that I thought were made at a plant in atlanta and they turned out to be japanese made or I would have paid zero duties. Pricing out the same stuff in Canada at the time, 2200 bucks was the cheapest.

I don't know if its the same in the states or if it's different now here, but I remember back in 1991 having an accident with my Dodge Daytona at the time and I had Goodyear Eagles on it and had to have 2 replaced. I saw the invoice given to insurance and the dealers cost on tires and price charged to customer (insurance) for them. Was a 100% markup. I did some research at some tire shops and was told it was common to have a 100% markup on tires. Everybody has to have 'em!

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
DITTO on the desktop. My interior parts old, when my son upgrades his unit, I get his old motherboard, etc, so I go from Real old, to a lil old on PC, LMAO. Recently had to replace fan and Vid card keeping this ole Tower running.....

BC9696: I am either gonna go to LTX Michelin or TOYO's and get rid of friggin SRA's. Awaiting $$$$$ from the Money Tree, LOL.. Running stock 18's on stock rims...

i gave up on desktops and went the laptop route in 2013. My life was in flux at the time and I was moving around a lot. Needed the abilities of a computer for resumes' and such but got tired of dragging a bunch of computer gear around that was getting long in the tooth anyway.

Last year I got a hell of a deal on kijiji in canada. A computer software student gamer type had 6 laptops. he just loved playing with diff brands of hardware I guess and buying the next best thing for gaming, but didn't have the time or inclination to fix them if they had an issue. he was selling a basically new HP Envy 17" with and Intel I7 processor, nvidia and intel graphics on board, 16gigs of ram, 1 terrabyte hard drive, dual band wifi, bang & olufsen sound and touchscreen for 100 bucks as the screen wasn't working. Handyman special. I wanted to put an SSD drive in it anyway so I figured for the price worth a gamble that I could fix it while I was in there. Was simply a loose connector inside. I've had it for a year and it hasn't had a problem:)

Bennyrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey i'm another old guy and I love the look and ride of 20x10 rims mounted on 37s, for some reason the visual balance is just right to me, they also looked really hot on my 33s before I changed up. the tires are 12.5 wide. As I said almost everybody loves the look. Good luck with your choice.My Moded Ram.jpg

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey i'm another old guy and I love the look and ride of 20x10 rims mounted on 37s, for some reason the visual balance is just right to me, they also looked really hot on my 33s before I changed up. the tires are 12.5 wide. As I said almost everybody loves the look. Good luck with your choice.View attachment 169215

i love that beefy look! i do not like to see a bunch of empty room in a wheel well. I get if it's an off roader it can be a necessary evil but I see a lot of street trucks 4" plus lifted with little tires on them and just think...why? I guess it kinda goes hand in hand with these ricers I see that have the wheels at what looks like a 30 degree angle. Just looks stupid to me but hey...whatever floats their boats I guess. When I spent a bunch of time in Hawaii in 2014, I saw a tons of tacoma trucks lifted way up with teeny tires and rims on them. Like a cartoon car. Always sticks in my mind cause with my 2003 Tacoma I went the other way and as big a rim and tire as I could stuff in there.