19+ AEV Bumpers Are Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
It does also say on the website

Coming soon - Optional power wagon winch retrofit kit, brush guard and intercooler skid plate!

Honestly. im not that impressed with it. Just like the 18 models. sure its a big chunk of metal. But it doesnt look like it increases approach angle, and since the picture above shows their high marker fender flares. im guessing the picture is with the "Short" corners for more clearance....

mehhhh

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looks good and beefier than stock. If I had a non PW I would consider this to add a winch but since I have a PW I'm staying with the cleaner factory look.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When they get the Power Wagon piece all figured out, and the brush guard, I'm in for one. Couldn't help but notice the install time, 8 hours! Dang I think my ARB bumper on my last truck was like tops 3?

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly. im not that impressed with it. Just like the 18 models. sure its a big chunk of metal. But it doesnt look like it increases approach angle, and since the picture above shows their high marker fender flares. im guessing the picture is with the "Short" corners for more clearance....

mehhhh

My thoughts exactly. The Chassis Unlimited front bumper looks better,is more than 700 bucks cheaper,and will accept the PW winch out of the box. But that’s just my opinion.

OP
OP
Overlander

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't discount the value of the engineering that AEV has put into the bumper. You can be certain it's been heavily scrutinized by competent engineers, is air-bag compatible, and thoroughly field tested. Not saying Chassis Unlimited is a bad product by any means. But there is a difference between someone who can fabricate something that fits and looks nice and someone who can properly engineer a product to meet all OEM/DOT/Safety requirements.

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nice for sure but more than I can afford. I was in the R&D shop when they were installing a rear one and they offered to sell me one. Very nice but a bit too rich for me at this point. I installed a front AEV bumper on my rubicon and have installed several rear AEV bumpers on other jeep rubicons. They are well thought out and I like they are stamped so they look good. I know tastes are personal but I do not think there is any comparison between Chassis unlimited and AEV.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't discount the value of the engineering that AEV has put into the bumper. You can be certain it's been heavily scrutinized by competent engineers, is air-bag compatible, and thoroughly field tested. Not saying Chassis Unlimited is a bad product by any means. But there is a difference between someone who can fabricate something that fits and looks nice and someone who can properly engineer a product to meet all OEM/DOT/Safety requirements.

My exact thoughts...

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
They are nice looking, but expensive and not-so-stellar reviews. Chief complaint was it's stamped steel of thin gauge. Can't confirm that since AEV bumpers I've seen are in pictures.

OP
OP
Overlander

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This doesn't related to this specific bumper, but this interview is a great example of how much effort goes into the AEV product. There's definitely a 'why' behind every part of its design.

You can definitely make a big bumper out of 3/16" plate. But that it's a heavy bumper and a well thought out (and tested) solution are two different things.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I guess I just don’t get all the AEV hype. Is it quality stuff? Sure. All the parts I’ve seen in person are nice. Is all this extra “engineering” and “design” worth the premium and long leads times? Not to me. Different strokes for different folks.

OP
OP
Overlander

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not arguing with you either way, value is definitely in the perception of the buyer/user. Out of curiosity, did you watch the vid in the link above?

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not arguing with you either way, value is definitely in the perception of the buyer/user. Out of curiosity, did you watch the vid in the link above?

I watched some of it. It’s a nice marketing video for sure.
Everything those X Overland guys do is geared toward the super high end type of overlanding so it’s not surprising they are partnering with a Gucci style company like AEV.
Again,I’m not denying they have some quality stuff. In fact I would buy a Snap right now but alas they have been out of stock for months.

PWonly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not being able to use the OE Warn winch at the onset stinks. Hoping the optional retrofit kit comes quickly.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
.... But it doesnt look like it increases approach angle, and ...

It doesnt. That has been well known for a while now, proven time and time again in moab. Especially compared to the low profile/high approach angle aftermarket bumpers that are available.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
View attachment 227922

Though it says there is no kit yet to re-use the OE PW Warn winch. I wonder if this is due to the OE electrical wire lengths or some other factor.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/aev-front-bumper/
It’s because the 2019+ uses the Xeon winch instead of the M15000 like the old Power Wagons do. The winch needs to be rotated and modified from its OEM orientation to fit in any winch cradle other than the OEM one, and the parts to modify it may not exist yet (new release lever, new gaskets, etc).
When they get the Power Wagon piece all figured out, and the brush guard, I'm in for one. Couldn't help but notice the install time, 8 hours! Dang I think my ARB bumper on my last truck was like tops 3?
And it’s every bit of that too. Mine took me two days. There are a ton of steps to install it. I don’t ever plan on removing mine due to how involved it is.
It doesnt. That has been well known for a while now, proven time and time again in moab. Especially compared to the low profile/high approach angle aftermarket bumpers that are available.
Correct, it actually has LESS clearance than stock because of how far out it sticks. It hindered some at PWIM this year, especially a guy on stock tires and suspension with an AEV front. I plowed a few rocks with mine, but I made up for it with my lift and 37’s.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
And let’s not forget the REAL win here: the rear bumper, teased for YEARS, is FINALLY available! Mine is on order and should ship this week. Sure, there are other options out there, but with everything else on my truck AEV (except their lift, blegh!), I felt it best to get their matching rear bumper. I can’t wait for it to finally arrive, I’ve been waiting two years for it!