'19 PW - Axle Unlock Light Blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
To hopefully (fingers crossed) close the book on this, my axle unlock light hasn't blinked in a couple weeks. While I was installing a cat-back exhaust a couple weeks ago, I checked the electronic connections to the diff and they seemed tight. Maybe one wasn't and that was what was causing the light to blink. The dealer agrees that it shouldn't blink, but until it doesn't it consistently enough to troubleshoot there's nothing they can do (obviously).
I dont come on here much but sometimes I check out the site. Anyways I saw your having a locker light randomly flashing. I had the exact issue with the front locker light randomly flashing at random times for about three months on my 18 with about 18,000 miles on it. Now my truck could go days without doing it then do it nonstop and trust me it was really random. So I figured this out myself by tracing all the connectors that have anything to do with the lockers or sway bar disconnect. I ended up finding out that the dealer who sold me this truck or owner or even the factory which I dont believe had cut the front harness that went into the front axle for the locker. It was hidden so well I didn't find it till I got the lum off to see that all four wires in there were cut at some point and the ******* tec who is incompetent did a half ass fix by using no solder and only twisting the wires together. Now that's great on an area with a ton of vibration. So then the heat shrink wasnt sealed all the way on the wires. So what do you think happened? When I went through the carwash or drove in the rain moisture got under the lum and down in the heat shrink that wasnt sealed causing all my issues. I thought about it all and it seemed to happen more after rain or the carwash so it all made sense. I ended up doing a quick fix before a hurricane hit by soldering it and actually sealing that heat shrink and all was perfect. I did however buy a whole new harness for peace of mind and it's been flawless. I still have some pics of the hack job the person did and the harness before it comes down to the front diff and even a pic of the axle light blinking while lit unlocked. Good luck hope this helps.20190914_141036.jpg 20190905_182611.jpg 20190830_215521.jpg

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I dont come on here much but sometimes I check out the site. Anyways I saw your having a locker light randomly flashing. I had the exact issue with the front locker light randomly flashing at random times for about three months on my 18 with about 18,000 miles on it. Now my truck could go days without doing it then do it nonstop and trust me it was really random. So I figured this out myself by tracing all the connectors that have anything to do with the lockers or sway bar disconnect. I ended up finding out that the dealer who sold me this truck or owner or even the factory which I dont believe had cut the front harness that went into the front axle for the locker. It was hidden so well I didn't find it till I got the lum off to see that all four wires in there were cut at some point and the ******* tec who is incompetent did a half ass fix by using no solder and only twisting the wires together. Now that's great on an area with a ton of vibration. So then the heat shrink wasnt sealed all the way on the wires. So what do you think happened? When I went through the carwash or drove in the rain moisture got under the lum and down in the heat shrink that wasnt sealed causing all my issues. I thought about it all and it seemed to happen more after rain or the carwash so it all made sense. I ended up doing a quick fix before a hurricane hit by soldering it and actually sealing that heat shrink and all was perfect. I did however buy a whole new harness for peace of mind and it's been flawless. I still have some pics of the hack job the person did and the harness before it comes down to the front diff and even a pic of the axle light blinking while lit unlocked. Good luck hope this helps.

Thanks for this. As [bad]luck would have it, the light started blinking again the day after I made my last post. It still does it randomly, and I was going to go down the path of looking for a loose connection again. I'll add checking for cut then put together wires to the troubleshooting. I was able to finally get video of it blinking the other night so I have proof I'm not just imagining it. :)

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
Thanks for this. As [bad]luck would have it, the light started blinking again the day after I made my last post. It still does it randomly, and I was going to go down the path of looking for a loose connection again. I'll add checking for cut then put together wires to the troubleshooting. I was able to finally get video of it blinking the other night so I have proof I'm not just imagining it. :)
Do you notice it more after rain, snow, or any type of moisture because that's what started mine. It still did it even with none of that cause the moisture was trapped in there. If it's not moisture and everything else stated above it could be the magnet in the differential for the locker. It happened on my friends jeep but his had a tendency to stay on. If the magnet gets a buildup of metal shavings on it the thing will act wierd. Also if that magnet shifted somehow in there with the one bolt holding it in it can cause a signal telling it to lock. I would check all your wires first and make sure no moisture is present. Then use electrical grease on all the connectors even the smart bar. There is a square rubber ring that helps seal that smart bar connector to make sure its aligned if you disconnect it. If you need help I can find pictures of stuff to help guide you. I know how much of a pain it is. I literally went on a 3 hour trip one time and it was all good till 2 hours into it the light started. Then I would shut it off restart all was good then 20 minutes later boom lol. Then the next day it was off. The thing would drive me insane.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you notice it more after rain, snow, or any type of moisture because that's what started mine. It still did it even with none of that cause the moisture was trapped in there. If it's not moisture and everything else stated above it could be the magnet in the differential for the locker. It happened on my friends jeep but his had a tendency to stay on. If the magnet gets a buildup of metal shavings on it the thing will act wierd. Also if that magnet shifted somehow in there with the one bolt holding it in it can cause a signal telling it to lock. I would check all your wires first and make sure no moisture is present. Then use electrical grease on all the connectors even the smart bar. There is a square rubber ring that helps seal that smart bar connector to make sure its aligned if you disconnect it. If you need help I can find pictures of stuff to help guide you. I know how much of a pain it is. I literally went on a 3 hour trip one time and it was all good till 2 hours into it the light started. Then I would shut it off restart all was good then 20 minutes later boom lol. Then the next day it was off. The thing would drive me insane.

Thanks! Depending on what I find, I may have to take you up on your offer for pictures. The truck only has a little over 1,000 miles on it, and the light was actually blinking on the test drive so I'm assuming it's not shavings on the magnet, but could be a loose wire or mis-aligned magnet. It doesn't always do it when it's wet, but almost always does it at the start of the drive (within the first five mins) and not later in the drive. That's really the only consistency I can find.

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
Thanks! Depending on what I find, I may have to take you up on your offer for pictures. The truck only has a little over 1,000 miles on it, and the light was actually blinking on the test drive so I'm assuming it's not shavings on the magnet, but could be a loose wire or mis-aligned magnet. It doesn't always do it when it's wet, but almost always does it at the start of the drive (within the first five mins) and not later in the drive. That's really the only consistency I can find.
No problem I used to remote start mine then get in my truck and I would see it sometimes. I bet its electrical that's my guess. But hey you also have a warranty. I used mine already for a leaking head gasket and I will say Ram Cares was awesome and so was my dealer. So dont be afraid to use it we payed alot for these trucks. I specifically got mine for the offroad ability and lockers.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No problem I used to remote start mine then get in my truck and I would see it sometimes. I bet its electrical that's my guess. But hey you also have a warranty. I used mine already for a leaking head gasket and I will say Ram Cares was awesome and so was my dealer. So dont be afraid to use it we payed alot for these trucks. I specifically got mine for the offroad ability and lockers.

Yeah I'm definitely not afraid to use the warranty. Until it blinks more consistently though I imagine it's going to be hard for them to troubleshoot, and if I can spend 30 mins checking myself then I will - it would take me that long to drive to the dealership. Plus I'm about to embark on the journey of installing Amp power steps next weekend, so I'm going to be under there anyway.

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
Yeah I'm definitely not afraid to use the warranty. Until it blinks more consistently though I imagine it's going to be hard for them to troubleshoot, and if I can spend 30 mins checking myself then I will - it would take me that long to drive to the dealership. Plus I'm about to embark on the journey of installing Amp power steps next weekend, so I'm going to be under there anyway.
Yeah honestly it wont take that long to go over it all. I felt better fixing it myself. But when I saw my head leaking I said you all can have it warranty time eventhough I can do that work.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
An update for this thread - I ended up changing the differential fluids and cleaning off the diff lock/unlock magnets really well and that basically solved my issue. I occasionally notice the flash when I first start moving upon start-up, but it's only one or two flashes then nothing else (likely the system verifying they are unlocked). In my book that's problem solved.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An update for this thread - I ended up changing the differential fluids and cleaning off the diff lock/unlock magnets really well and that basically solved my issue. I occasionally notice the flash when I first start moving upon start-up, but it's only one or two flashes then nothing else (likely the system verifying they are unlocked). In my book that's problem solved.

hmmmm. As much as I am hoping you got it fixed, I am a little skeptical. In this situation, I am thinking a sensor.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
hmmmm. As much as I am hoping you got it fixed, I am a little skeptical. In this situation, I am thinking a sensor.

I hear yeah. But the behavior significantly changed immediately after changing the fluid and cleaning the magnet, so that's the only thing I can attribute it to. We'll see if it comes back again worse - hopefully not though.