'19 RAM 3500 P0299 Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RMartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I couldn't find where this issue has been addressed of late, so... We have been on the road, towing a 10K 5th wheel, with our 2019 3500 Ram 6.7L Turbo Diesel approximately 6,000 miles of a scheduled 10,000 mile trip. Last week with the brutally high temps here in the Pacific NW, I took it to a nearby dealership for oil, air and fuel filter change. Within 30 miles of leaving the dealership the CEL came on. I called the service writer, explained we were leaving the next day for a new location, so he had me to bring it back where he found the PCM had a P0299 code (Turbocharger Underboost). He cleared it and said it was probably related to the air filter change; however, within hours, the light was back on. After arriving at our new location, I contacted another dealership and they got me in to look at the issue. Their technician found a PCM flash update, did the flash, test drove and all looked good. Well here we are 3 days later, leaving for a new location today and the CEL is back on. We are in the Casades of Washington state, well out of range of RAM dealerships for the next 2 weeks and of course I'll be out of the 36K warranty probably within a day or 2. Thankfully drivability isn't impacted that I can notice. There was some FB post discussion of air filters causing the problem, but I checked they had installed an OEM filter. Just wondering if anyone who has experienced this problem had discovered a cure. Thanks.

Maxrates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’m having same issue. We are currently traveling towing a 15k fifth wheel. The light came on yesterday. I checked the code today and it is the P0299. Will try to get to a dealer tomorrow. We are in Kentucky.
Did you find a fix for yours?
Thanks

8notch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hello, I have a 2019 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 cummings and my CEL came on yesterday driving thru baker City Oregon on I-84. Got off in Lagrande Oregon and drove to local Ram dealer and they ran a quick computer diagnostic and came up with a error code of P0299 saying Turbo Boost underpowered. They said it would be ok to drive until they can get under the hood early next week. So right now it's a wait and see. Hoping nothing to serious. Only has 27,800 and still under full factory warranty which is good. with keep you posted.
Robert.

Kevin F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel 6.7
I have a 2019 Ram 6.7 cummins with 49000 miles. My CEL came on with code P0299. Took it to the dealer and they said all components were working per specs. The only issue was I had changed the air filter to an after market STP "GLUED PLEATED DESIGN" when indicated as per maintenance recommendations. Per the dealer, the reason for the underboost code is the RAM filter has metal supports for the pleats in the air filter to keep the filter from collapsing on itself when under load. The dealer replaced my after market filter with a RAM filter, reset the code and so far so good. Apparently RAM knows about this issue and its one of the check list items they run down when investigating the cause of code P0299. Hope this helps.

NotExactlyAimless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
We tow a 18,000 lbs 5th wheel and the CEL came on after an air filter change. We have been travelling and are having trouble getting into a dealer to have them take a look at it. I thought we found someone here in Texas (made the appointment 2 weeks ago) but when I went in this morning they said the appointment was just to drop the truck off, that they only have one diesel mechanic and would not be able to look at it until the 14! I looked at the filter that the dealer in CA installed and don't see that it has any metal supports built into it. Not sure by reading above posts whether the filter should or shouldn't have the metal supports.
Thanks

NotExactlyAimless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
Took it into another dealer and they discovered that the dealer in CA installed an aftermarket filter, not a Mopar air filter. They installed a Mopar filter and the light went off.

Nunu814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins 6.7
I couldn't find where this issue has been addressed of late, so... We have been on the road, towing a 10K 5th wheel, with our 2019 3500 Ram 6.7L Turbo Diesel approximately 6,000 miles of a scheduled 10,000 mile trip. Last week with the brutally high temps here in the Pacific NW, I took it to a nearby dealership for oil, air and fuel filter change. Within 30 miles of leaving the dealership the CEL came on. I called the service writer, explained we were leaving the next day for a new location, so he had me to bring it back where he found the PCM had a P0299 code (Turbocharger Underboost). He cleared it and said it was probably related to the air filter change; however, within hours, the light was back on. After arriving at our new location, I contacted another dealership and they got me in to look at the issue. Their technician found a PCM flash update, did the flash, test drove and all looked good. Well here we are 3 days later, leaving for a new location today and the CEL is back on. We are in the Casades of Washington state, well out of range of RAM dealerships for the next 2 weeks and of course I'll be out of the 36K warranty probably within a day or 2. Thankfully drivability isn't impacted that I can notice. There was some FB post discussion of air filters causing the problem, but I checked they had installed an OEM filter. Just wondering if anyone who has experienced this problem had discovered a cure. Thanks.
Not sure if this would help anyone but I thought I would post my experience with the P0299 code. Last week I took my 2020 Ram 2500 with 20,000 miles in for service. Oil change / both fuel filters and also cabin + air filter. Next morning I got the check engine light with the P0299 code stored. Called the dealership and they could not come up with a answer or fix. I knew it must have been something they did at the time of service. I started troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that it must be the air filter they installed. After a lot of back and forth it seem like the air filters with the two gel strips across the top will trigger this code on the 5th gen trucks! Honestly I thought it couldn’t be something that stupid, but proceeded to pull the air filter and low and behold that’s what they installed in my truck. I went to Advanced Auto and got a different filter without the gel strips and installed it. Before start up I deleted the check engine light and code. It’s been a couple of days now and the code did not come back. It may be worth trying a different air filter?

Attachments

• B044FC65-495D-4B53-B9ED-ACB6A19A54C8.jpeg
    B044FC65-495D-4B53-B9ED-ACB6A19A54C8.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 8A475103-D7FB-4F6C-AB26-0C2535E6A6D5.jpeg
    8A475103-D7FB-4F6C-AB26-0C2535E6A6D5.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 20

Cheapstreetduster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine is giving me the code p0299. i removed the extrememly dirty air filter and cleared the code.. and drove it to the parts store with no filter in the housing. however i am still getting the cel after about 5 min of driving. before the cel comes on with no air filter . i will say the low rpm/low throttle performance is markedly better.. it runs better with out the filter. so these filters are restrictive.. my old filter was extremely dirty .
i only drove it with out the filter to see if there was any difference. so 5 min in and its still pulls cel with no filter in the airbox..when the cel goes on i have very pronounced bucking at low speeds low throttle imput.. i installed the new filter and cleared the code. i have not drivin it yet to see it the cel comes on with the new filter installed yet