19 Ram Rebel 8.4 Non Nav to 8.4 Nav

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi E-Torque
Hey Guys so after searching for a bit with the search button I haven't found what I was looking for. I want to Change My 8.4 non Nav in my 19 Rebel to the 8.4 Nav. What would be the things I would be needing to do the swap. I know the Radio, Module, bezel and the lvds cable what else? I also Red that some trucks the temp wasn't working is that only for the 2500?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know that earlier Rams that had the RA3 , 8.4A Radio could be upgraded to have Navigation

The RA4 , 8.4AN comes with Navigation

No modifications would have to be done to the Ram if you are just making a swap from one to the other
You would have to have it programmed so that the CPU can sense the change

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The new trucks have a different setup and the OP is correct the non nav is a one piece design, the nav unit and the 12” are both two piece designs.
I would imagine it’s the same as swapping to the 12” as far as the new module, cable, display and bezel.
i Would search that 12” conversion thread and just sub in 8.4” stuff but the procedure is going to be the same on the programming side. Personally I would just do the 12” as I imagine the costs are similar.
I have the nav version and never use it I just use Apple car play and waze. Im collecting pieces for the 12” conversion now so if you haven’t gotten this done by the time I do mine I’ll have parts for sale lol.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey Guys so after searching for a bit with the search button I haven't found what I was looking for. I want to Change My 8.4 non Nav in my 19 Rebel to the 8.4 Nav. What would be the things I would be needing to do the swap. I know the Radio, Module, bezel and the lvds cable what else? I also Red that some trucks the temp wasn't working is that only for the 2500?
Aside from the items you already listed, you will also need a custom conversion cable that splits the one connector that is currently plugged into HVAC controls into two connectors- one that plugs back into the new HVAC controls, and one that plugs into the new screen. Since the HVAC controls for the bezel specific to the disassociated 8.4 screen only come set up for auto climate control, you’ll have to swap out the sun sensor and install the cabin temp sensor (which also requires a custom harness) in order for the HVAC controls to work correctly. You’ll also need AlfaOBD to change the HVAC configuration to dual zone ATC, and enable the display screen module so the new screen will turn on. PM me if you need more info on the two custom harnesses needed.
Like @Razorbackfan mentioned, if you are sourcing all these parts new, it is about the same cost to just go with the 12” swap.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have the nav version and never use it I just use Apple car play and waze.
^^^ good advice
The factory nav leaves much to be desired. AndroidAuto/CarPlay has real time traffic and the maps are always current.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Another vote for just putting a Garmin in or displaying your phone maps on the existing screen. I have 2020 and 2021 factory navs on 8.4s and I am not particularly impressed with either. Also, the 2020 GPS cacked itself and needed a complete warranty radio replacement at 12,000 miles that took 2 months to show up.

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
And who doesn’t want to hear Cookie Monster give directions lol when I have passengers they are always like wtf

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I just did a radio upgrade to my 2019 new body 1500 BigHorn. The donor came from a 2020 jeep grand cherokee (panasonic). The old radio was a one piece and the panasonic was a 2 piece. Got it installed and if i reset the battery, the radio will come up with am fm us b only. No xm, backup camera, apps or dual temp controls. This is the old radio and the new radio..
Left is the original no nav and the right with the messed up label is the new one. Called 3 radio people and they will not sell the programmer if you did not buy radio from them. My vin is .

Will alphaobd take care of this. I have not purchased it yet but will if it will work. Some people say it has trouble with 5th gens. If it won't work, does someone have somebody that will sell the programmer?

Thank you in advance for reading it.

Attachments

• Resized952021120295111147.jpg
    Resized952021120295111147.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Resized952021120295111255.jpg
    Resized952021120295111255.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: