196,000 miles too many??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tt is a 3500 Cummins, with Aisin. I confirmed the trans has NEVER been serviced. Aisin calls for a service every 30K. Surprisingly the trans shifted great. I bet it is a ticking timebomb though.

I talked to the two transmission techs that I know and they both said they've never had an Aisin apart.

But...buying anything used is like playing roulette. If you feel confident in what the seller is telling you (and there's plenty of documentation of maintenance), then it may be a bargain.

Best of luck,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 028434 miles.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks all for the input. The other variable I didn't mention was I will most likely only keep this truck for 2-3 years, and I will only drive it around 8-10K per year. I plan to eventually downsize my camper, and at that point I won't need a Dually. I am concerned about resale as well.
Look at it this way. Right now it is 2 model years old with 196k on it, averaging about 100k a year. If you out 10k a year for 3 years you will have a total of about 230k which is an average or 45k or so a year. Your hit on mileage maybe reduces each year you keep it.

OP
OP
J

JasonC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's a diesel you can expect 400,000+ miles with good maintenance. Highway miles is a plus. Like you said suspension, steering, brakes might need attention. Check the Kelly Blue Book to get a ballpark figure and even pull the Carfax for the history. I question why he is selling it. Most truck drivers will hold on to one four years. Maybe he just likes new.
They decided hot shotting was not for them...too many hours away from home.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Exactly???????
Hot Shoting. They pull small car haulers or flat beds with duallys that are usually just light enough not to require a CDL. They run all over the country just like over the road semis. The miles add up fast.