1982 318 fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looke all over the internet to no avail. Where does the fuel filter go on a 82 d150 with a 318. all the lines have been disconnected and altered and i'm trying to figure out where the filter goes. It has the extra return line on it but does the filter go before the pump or inbetween the pump and the carb.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
looke all over the internet to no avail. Where does the fuel filter go on a 82 d150 with a 318. all the lines have been disconnected and altered and i'm trying to figure out where the filter goes. It has the extra return line on it but does the filter go before the pump or inbetween the pump and the carb.
The filter is normally between the tank and the pump. You can put a filter anywhere really. I have installed them multiple ways. I believe yours would be in between the tank and the pump.

OP
OP
markm

markm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so then the pump has an open line so to speak because of the vapor line. seems like that would be working against the pump but then the vapor line is taking fuel away from the carb if it is put after the pump. really wish someone could just show me a picture.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
so then the pump has an open line so to speak because of the vapor line. seems like that would be working against the pump but then the vapor line is taking fuel away from the carb if it is put after the pump. really wish someone could just show me a picture.
Actually, if I remember correctly, the fuel filter for your truck should be on the passenger side of the motor/inner fender area. I believe the fuel line from the pump to the filter was only about 2' long. The filter is mounted in a way that the return line is above and on top of the supply line from the tank.

If the return line is not connected and you only have a single fuel supply line coming from the tank then you can use a single inlet single outlet fuel filter.

OP
OP
markm

markm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so just need to make sure the extra line coming off the fuel filter goes back to the tank.?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the filter goes between the pump and carb. if your truck does not have a return line then you may have to go back to the parts store to get a fuel filter without the return port or just block it off. there are 2 different filters for these truck

OP
OP
markm

markm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK. thanks. so the extra line off of the filter goes back to the tank and the sending unit.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
If the tank has a return receptacle .
....If there is not anything on the tank then yours just needs the common 3/8 fuel filter or 5/16 fuel filter what ever side the fuel line from you fuel pump to your carb is .