1986 D-150 A/C issue.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VegasCharger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, been a while since I've been on here but I look for that to change once I get the truck I'm after which is 1986-1990 (love that grille) D-150/250 long bed 2WD.

Anyway to the topic, I'm looking online at this '86 D-150 318-auto. I asked the seller if the AC works to see if I would be more interested in buying it. I'll post his response here in quotes.

"Yes and no… so yes the ac does work, however when the ac is on while driving sometimes it will die on you when at a stop light or stop sign but all that is..is just the carb doesn’t have to part to regulate the ac while driving"

From his response above in quotes, does this problem sound an easy fix? I get leery of ads saying the AC doesn't work but it's an easy fix. If it's an easy fix, then why doesn't the seller take care of it to bring up the value of what he's selling?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.....thanks Bryan

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I didn't know they have anything to raise the idle while AC is on.
Now I've had vehicles that had Idle stop solenoids on them .
... But those solenoids are hard to find .
I too have an 1988 gas 318 in a 3/4ton Flat Bed truck.. I've replaced a lot of AC parts on this truck . & It to just barely works.
I drove it in 100* weather a few weeks ago. It might have kept the temp down into the 70s inside . Barely better than being with out AC but .
It still needs another trip to the AC shop again.
......AC Parts have been hard to find .. & I'm an old Parts man retired.
So I've bought a couple of old used truck to help get some Inside AC & Heater doors . & I know where to go into the big city & bought the ac evap core .

Kodachrome Wolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 360 V8
If the 318s got the same carb as the 360s, it should have a factory Quadrajet, at least for ‘86.

There is an A/C throttle kicker on there to raise the engine speed so it won’t stall when you come to a stop.

If there’s an aftermarket carb on the truck, it’s possible there’s no provision to mount a kicker or they didn’t add one. If it still has the Quadrajet, you might be able to get one for a GM vehicle and just adapt a connector to hook it up to the vehicle harness.

1970Pelle

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
90 W150,ShortBed/87 Ramcharger 2WD project
Engine
W150 318,4bbl,auto4x4 VGC/ 87 Ramcharger 318/904 VGC
I have complete replaced every part of my W150's A/C system. I have bought 80% of my parts from RockAuto. DW150 and DW350 parts are the same in most instances. I did go with a Sanden A/C compressor, made my own brackets. I use a sanden scroll compressor.
And I buy my parts for 134A system, so there is no issue on the refill. I would choose parts for a 1990-93 Dodge truck. And use these years fill spec's

If your running an aftermarket carb. Summit or Jegs sell idle solenoid kits. Holley and Edelbrock has there own. And as mentioned one for a Q-jet is easy to get hold of.

Ken​