1986 Dodge D-150 Smog Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alllec8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7/225 Slant 6
Hi again, 86 d150 with the 225 slant 6(federal emissions, and I’m in California) and I’ve chasing issues and fixing them, right now it’s the egr. The computer has been changed(which unfortunately didn’t fix it) and I’ve checked just about everything. I’ve looked up many different things regarding the egr to find nothing. It passes smog at 15 just barely but then is too high on the NOx at 25.

details of my issue:
When I first start the truck, the egr functions and the valve will have vacuum and open when snapping the throttle. Then, not even a minute later, it stops working and I have no vacuum signal to the egr valve. Even though this is a good sign that it works, as I understand, this isn’t supposed to be how it works. If I shut the key off while driving and restart the engine, it will do the same thing. I have a Haynes manual to go off of, but it isn’t really specific on checking the egr system.

I don’t know what else could be wrong and it would be nice if I got some help with this so I could get the truck to pass smog. Thanks