1987 D150 no Start, no crank. But has electric

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMO129

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone. I have been surfing the threads for the past few days to find some literature that could help me with my problem. I didn't quite find it.

I have a 1987 Dodge D150 318ci. I have been having starting issues with the truck ever since I got it from my father.

Issue: It doesn't crank, starter doesn't engage. I have voltage to the dash, lights, etc.

What I've replaced: I currently replaced the starter, starter relay, battery wire to the starter, alternator (needed a new one), battery.

I am wondering if anyone ran into this issue and what you did to resolve. The only think I can think of is taking the steering column apart and replacing the ignition. Not sure.

Thanks in advance.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
With a volt meter on the battery, look to see if there is any response at all when you operate the ignition switch. If none, it's most likely the ignition switch, but I wouldn't rule out the wire, either. You might find your answer just by getting a look at the ignition switch, too.

OP
OP
J

JMO129

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks man! I am going to take a look at the ignition switch and probably replace it anyway.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks man! I am going to take a look at the ignition switch and probably replace it anyway.
Look at the wires on the ignition switch also. Could be cut or broken. Do you know if he had a kill switch on it before you got it?

JohnnyRC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 Liter Magnum V6
Check your park safety switch if you have one. Had the same problem with my truck. Have some trans fluid and a drain pan on hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01