1987 D150 no Start, no crank. But has electric

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by JMO129, Jun 10, 2019.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. JMO129

JMO129 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hi everyone. I have been surfing the threads for the past few days to find some literature that could help me with my problem. I didn't quite find it.

I have a 1987 Dodge D150 318ci. I have been having starting issues with the truck ever since I got it from my father.

Issue: It doesn't crank, starter doesn't engage. I have voltage to the dash, lights, etc.

What I've replaced: I currently replaced the starter, starter relay, battery wire to the starter, alternator (needed a new one), battery.

I am wondering if anyone ran into this issue and what you did to resolve. The only think I can think of is taking the steering column apart and replacing the ignition. Not sure.

Thanks in advance.

2. hotrod45

hotrod45 US Army Veteran Military

Ram Year:
    2019 Rebel 4x4 Crew
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7 eTorque
    With a volt meter on the battery, look to see if there is any response at all when you operate the ignition switch. If none, it's most likely the ignition switch, but I wouldn't rule out the wire, either. You might find your answer just by getting a look at the ignition switch, too.

3. JMO129

JMO129 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Thanks man! I am going to take a look at the ignition switch and probably replace it anyway.

4. BigBlue05

BigBlue05 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Look at the wires on the ignition switch also. Could be cut or broken. Do you know if he had a kill switch on it before you got it?