1989 dodge d150 muscle truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsmay101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
9619A55C-B264-4CB3-AB04-945DDFEA9305.jpeg Hey guys/gals,
New to the forum here! Excited about working on my truck, was wondering if anyone here has converted the tbi 318 to a carb. I’m guessing someone has. I’m seeing issues with my gas gauge and plan to trace the wiring but have a feeling it’s the dreaded sending unit which seems to be a nightmare. Just starting to form a plan, looking for input. I know the tbi has benefits but also looking for simple.. and def gonna take the truck in a muscle truck direction.. it’s a long term plan. Thanks in advance!

Hasek

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My First was an 83 w/318.
Never got to play with it but from what i remember alot of the 360 parts work on the 318 as well. may not be the most powerful motor ever but those LA318/360s were damn near bulletproof!

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
congrats on the truck. carb conversion should be pretty straight forward. but it does involve some work. starting with the fuel pump, if you're running efi, you'll need a pressure regulator or change over to a mechanical pump. if you're cams are not designed for a mechanical pump, the pressure regulator is the way to go.

after that, it's a matter of swapping over the TBI to carb. most major carb makers will include a manual/installation instructions. If you want to bump up performance, I'd imagine you'll want a new intake manifold and go 4 bbl. edelbrock makes a decent manifold.

ultimately, as you get going, look at the JEGS house brand heads. they're just rebranded from Enginequest heads. larger valves and bump in compression ratio.

have fun, keep us posted.

Ole-Geezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318LA
Nice Truck! I like the "muscle truck" approach. I have swapped mine from TBI to Carb. Did a few other things and it is completely different from what the factory produced.

Attachments

• 88D150LWB.jpg
    88D150LWB.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 5

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
c437_1.jpgf85c_1.jpgfb41_1.jpg
This was my "Muscle Truck" back in about 2005. I will tell you right now that I never concidered a 318 a powerful engine by any means but I had a 318 in this truck with a 4 speed and 3.55 gear. All I done to it was put the street Hemi grind cam in it, roller rockers, Mopar Performance ignition, headers and a Thermoquad carburetor on it. Before you go trashing the Thermoquad (I've heard the bad rap on them all my life) I am the only person I know who liked them. I knew how to adjust them to make them work. They definitely a PIA getting them right. The truck would run 14.5 quarter miles all day. Not a rocket by any stretch but would always surprise anyone that ask what size engine it had.

Last edited: