1989 Dodge Ram D150 - Total Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramtough2022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2L
I have a 1989 Dodge Ram D150 with a 318 5.L engine. My engine locked up a few years ago so i had a new engine installed. Then the transmission wasn't changing gears so I had it rebuilt. When they took the engine out, we found the muffler with a hole in it, I decided to put a new exhaust system with headers and a dual in dual out 40 series flow master. Changed the plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor button. Since I installed headers, I decided to do a smog pump delete and put on a vintage breather on. Now it starts up sound great, but it drives like a clonker! Not sure what to do! I thought it was all done. When I press the gas pedal, it seems like it's not getting consistent gas flow. It will backfire if I keep pressing the gas. once I get it up to speed it struggles to shift into second gear. And it sound horrible in drive. Any suggestions?? Please help:(

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
1st thing I would do is dbl check the timing. Than check for any vacuum leaks.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
1st thing I would do is dbl check the timing. Than check for any vacuum leaks.
I was going to say check timing also. smog delete and long tube headers likely require some timing adjustments.