1990 5.9 losing diesel prime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
6.7 Cummins / Allison & 5.9 / NV4500
Hey everyone,
I need some suggestions please. My low mileage 1990 5.9 off road rig (military tug conversion) is having an issue. You could set a watch by its reliability up until recently.

It keeps losing its diesel prime. Once it starts, if I can get it started it runs fine. But after you shut it off air is getting in the Fuel line. I checked fuel solenoid for power and made sure the contact was clean. I can hear it clicking with the ignition. If I crack a main fuel line while turning it over fuel will come out eventually and as that’s happening it will try to start, like a low fuel condition and eventually it will crank and start. I’m pretty sure it’s only fuel pump is the lift pump on the block And pumping that lever feels like no fuel is in it when it won’t start. It has dual filters or a filter and a water separator back at the fuel cell and then the other stock filter on the engine. I’ve open both and diesel comes out with no water. Does anyone have any suggestions or a direction to look in? Is this a symptom of a fuel pump going bad? I don’t want to start swapping unneeded parts. It’s basically stock with I think a fuel plate mod and a minor timing mod.

Thank you,

OP
OP
SamTheDitchDoctor

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
Doing some more reading guessing the low pressure lift pump may be going bad. Is it worthwhile to go ahead and do the upgrade to the newer style pump? The kit is pricy but what I’m reading it sounds like a good idea.

OP
OP
SamTheDitchDoctor

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
Whatever mod moved this posted this engine is not a 5.9 common rail. You moved it to the wrong sub forum. It’s a first gen.