1990 dodge ram D250 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robertb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 gas
I'm thinking about buying a 1990 dodge ram D250 and the engine maintenance light came one for him and he took the bulb out because it was starting to get annoying, and before I buy It I want to check for engine codes with the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON trick but I'm worried about what light that shows codes on, is that with the check engine light or does it show the codes on the same emissions auto light?? Also what is a way to reset the light, do I need to get the hard to find and expensive DBR II scanner or does OBD I work for it too?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
maintenance light is not important. check engine light is the only important one. cycle the key and it should flash out the codes. there are a couple codes that are pretty common.

OP
OP
R

robertb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 gas
maintenance light is not important. check engine light is the only important one. cycle the key and it should flash out the codes. there are a couple codes that are pretty common.
Thanks alot, is there a place I can find and print the codes out

DustyDog99

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D250, 1986 W150
Engine
1985:318-2bbl 1986:318-4bbl
A Haynes or Chilton manual would be a good start. Google would be my next choice.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

gwgdog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I have an oBDII reader and it won’t reset the maintenance required or the ABS light. My mechanic told me his reader that had the software to reset those lights, is missing the cable for Dodge OBD1 and he can’t find a replacement.

I did the same thing, removed those two bulbs.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if the abs light is coming on you should just unplug the abs module behind the glove box. if you got a maintenance reminder light on you should also look around for another box about 1x1.5x2" in size that you can unplug. the maintenance reminder light is just an idiot light. as far as an abs light coming on the RWAL on these trucks were junk. ya you could probably get the light to go off by spending a ton of money replacing parts but it likely won't make it stop any better. i think i only felt the abs on my 93 work once in the entire time i had it and it was on ice and it made absolutely no difference to stopping. i know i didn't feel them working at all when i nearly t-boned a car that ran a red light and i was just standing on the brakes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963