1991 Ram 250 4x4 new owner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mykdee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just picked up a 91 Ram 250 single cab 4WD with 91K! It is a old government truck and in pretty good condition. A good friend of mine passed away from cancer about 2 months ago and I am buying it from his family. My buddy Craig had intended to restore the truck and use it as a weekend truck, my goal is to restore it and use it as our weekend quad hauler, something Craig would be proud to drive!!!! I will be doing all the upgrades myself.

My build idea....
It has a 8ft bed and I will be removing it to build a custom flatbed that can haul 2 quads.
4" lift
35" tires
Redo the interior
Full exhaust
Custom front bumper
That is my plan so far...

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
keep us updated with progress

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Agreed - flatbed is a lot more versatile IMO.

Do watch the GVWR vs payload. Its way too easy to exceed my 8510# rating. I see this one is gas (Dana 44, as the hubs fit under the hubcaps) so I'm not sure if you have 8510# or something less.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice truck! We have a 90 Kodiak that's was ex military. Its been excellent.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
1st I'll say welcome aboard . 2ND sorry you lost a TRUE friends.
I'm 71 & I lost my SON Nov.2019. He was my best friend .
Sadly he was not much of a Mechanic but he was a hell of a Man.
He couldn't believe all the stuff I built & or bought .
........ But he had 3 boys & One of them has bought My Sons old truck.
He's calling regularly to tell his progress.
.... Keep us posted. I love what you'r doing for your friend .
He'll be Riding With you Just Like PRIVATE ANDREW MALONE .
... p.s. that's a David Ball song.
Good Luck Young MAN.

OP
OP
mykdee

mykdee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My goal is to start building it out slowly in the next couple weeks! Thanks for all the responses so far and I will post pics of the progress.

OP
OP
mykdee

mykdee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So we have had a few things come up over the last couples months (yeah **** surgery!!!!!!!) and I just barely had time to get back to my build. I am hopefully picking up my truck this week. I picked up a bunch of tuneup and maintenance parts to try and get it to run better.....O2 sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, PCV, cap & rotor.

The original dash has a TON of cracks in it, I bought a used one that is in great condition and I paid $50! I am also hoping to pick up a 4" lift this week and some 35" tires.

OP
OP
mykdee

mykdee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I did a little work on the truck today and it seems that I may have fixed my rough/rich running problem! I decided to replace the plugs since they were old Champion plugs and after removing them I am glad I did!! They were completely black and gapped anywhere from .025-.028 at most. As soon as I replaced them with new Autolite copper plugs gapped at .035 it started right up and idled smooth as can be. It did have a little black smoke at first startup, but as I gassed it and let it idle it almost completely cleared up. I am thinking what little black smoke is left is just build up from it running rich all this time.
Could it be as simple as bad plugs, I sure hope so!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I did a little work on the truck today and it seems that I may have fixed my rough/rich running problem! I decided to replace the plugs since they were old Champion plugs and after removing them I am glad I did!! They were completely black and gapped anywhere from .025-.028 at most. As soon as I replaced them with new Autolite copper plugs gapped at .035 it started right up and idled smooth as can be. It did have a little black smoke at first startup, but as I gassed it and let it idle it almost completely cleared up. I am thinking what little black smoke is left is just build up from it running rich all this time.
Could it be as simple as bad plugs, I sure hope so!
I was never a fan of Champion plugs. I like Autolites. They are good plugs. Hopefully you can get all the black smoke gone. You might look into running a injector cleaner like redline, royal purple, or chevron through it. That might help as well. I cant wait to see the dash swap and the lift!