1992 d150 fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I got a new to me d150. I've done a little maintenance but now it's time to replace the fuel pump. Anybody have any tricks to remove the tank fill and vent lines or the quick connect to the pump it's self. Thanks.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
does the pump itself still work? if so just leave it alone. the stock ones are just as good if not better than any aftermarket one out there. if it is bad then there is really nothing to dropping the tank on a truck. just unbolt it and drop. you pull the plastic locks off the fuel lines and just twist back and forth off the sending unit.

OP
OP
evanblain

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it's pretty much toast. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447560634.377631.jpg
It's this guy that I'm worried about. Then theirs a plastic connector on the hose behind it. I was thinking about busting the little nipples off the old pump then worrying about them after I get the tank out. And for the fill line just try to take it off at the tank?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you are best to get the tank onto the ground and then pull them off. from my experience that connector does not look right for these vehicles. should be plastic connector connecting to the sending and i think the line to the frame is also suppose to be some sort of plastic or at least it is usually when stock

OP
OP
evanblain

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it's probably a replacement line. I believe the connector behind it looks like that one.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i wouldn't worry about it too much. if you drop the tank and can disconnect it at the other end so you can get the tank out it might make the line easier to remove from the sending when working on it while not under the truck especially if that is the type of connector i think it is. i think you will need tools like this to remove that connector if it is the type i think it might be and even then it is a real pain in the ass.
A/C and Fuel Line Disconnect Tool | Princess Auto

also if you do damage that connector i don't think it is a big deal i am not 100% sure which one that is but i think they should have replacements and if all else fails you could probably get away with fuel line and hose clamps.

doorman part numbers
800-053 http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&origin=keyword&q=800-053
800-054 http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=20636&SEName=800-054
800-055 http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&origin=keyword&q=800-055

Last edited:
OP
OP
evanblain

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448401073.046461.jpg
Hey Crazy or any one really. I got the whole pump changed except this fitting. I broke it off the old pump just to speed things up and now I can't get it out to attach the hose to the new pump. I bought one of those tools you linked but the piece inside the fitting isn't perfectly round. Anyone got an idea or should I just rip the hose off the truck and replace it.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i hate to say it but you may end up needing to replace the fitting. you could try drilling the plastic out but it will still most likely damage the seal.

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did this on my 1991 W150. I decided to NOT drop the tank because right before the pump went south, I filled the damn tank! Soo, I did the truck bed tilt way. Worked out very easy and was a breeze. Those connectors are easy to get off safely if you are careful if you have room. And you have plenty if you tilt the bed. If you want me to walk you thru the tilt bed how too, let me know here and I'll do it happily. But generally, there is a clip in the connector that is or used to be white plastic, it is probably yellowed by now. When you have the bed u-p and out of the way before you do anything else pinch the clip with a tiny slim needle nose plyer and just pull the hose straight off.

Don't force anything and you'll get it.

to tilt the bed simple remove the two bolts in the front of the bed, and the two center ones, halfway loosten the back two and then hook up a engine hoist to the fornt of the bed and simply tilt it up outta the way for safety use a couple jackstands under the bed between it and the rails and you'll have all the room you need. Here's a video on a 1996 but it is the same proceedure. Don't worry about the pressure deal he explains because the tbi trucks have low pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZSPFxthp0k

XCR600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like I may be replacing the fuel pump in my 91 W150 . I'm also planning to lift the bed but since it's not sitting on a hard surface and I don't have an engine crane I'm going to lift the drivers side of the bed instead of the front. I'll post some pic's if I have to replace it.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
What about just dropping the tank? They are really not too bad to drop and pretty easy to make new straps for them. If you plan on keeping the truck I would even recommend using stainless steel for the straps. You really almost need to lift the bed right off and back to get at the sending unit and get the sending unit out and back in without damaging things. If you got a couple strong friends it is usually not too bad of a job. Me and 2 other guys loaded a 8 foot bed onto my buddies flatbed which sits as high as a loading dock without too much issue

XCR600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every body I talk to thinks removing the bed is the way to go , plus I just put 20 gallons in it before it quit , really not wanting to wrestle a 1/2 full tank. Will see how far she tilts , its a 8 ft bed with a fiberglass topper on it and not much space to move stuff to.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
think of it this way. the sending unit is as tall as the tank so you have to lift the bad that high plus a bit to get it out so there is a chance the box may want to slide. really hard to say. removing the bed would be a bit better. i don't think dropping the tank even if it is full is that bad. i usually drain them once down which make re installing the tank easier.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
think of it this way. the sending unit is as tall as the tank so you have to lift the bed that high plus a bit to get it out so there is a chance the box may want to slide. really hard to say. removing the bed would be a bit better. i don't think dropping the tank even if it is full is that bad. i usually drain them once down which make re installing the tank easier.

XCR600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok as I was under the truck I took a better look at my drivers floor rot , seems to be way worse than I originally thought , it looks pretty bad really thinking about sending her down the road at this point.

20180818_165254.jpg

20180818_165321.jpg

20180818_165353.jpg

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that really doesn't look too bad to me. looks like the front cab support need to be fixed along with a floor pan but nothing major. i would still say that still has lots of life in it as is as long as the truck is not winter driven and maybe a few more years if it is winter driven. you will know when the front mount starts failing because the front of the cab will start sinking. i have fixed worse on my 93 and my 81 is still worse than yours. still drive it all the time with no issue
fwzoZy43i83X5EE6h3yS_FSY_NR4pBbGZwFDN=w422-h632-no.jpg

XCR600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is from the edge of the rocker to the frame rail , that out board support is whats rotten. Is that a part I can get or would it have to be fabbed ? You have a go to source for parts ?