1992 W150 - Steering Wheel Out of Sync

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billscamaros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L EFI
I've got a 1992 Dodge W150 fleetside pickup. 318 fuel injected motor. 4WD w/approx 90K miles.

I had to replace the power steering box about a year ago and since then, my steering wheel sits about 1/8 a turn to the left from top dead center as as I'm driving straight forward. I had thought that I could pull the steering column and shaft apart, rotate the steering column to top dead center and reconnect the splined column back to the steering box. So I did that this past weekend, and it makes no difference in where the steering wheel sits as I'm driving straight down the road. It still sits about a 1/8 turn to the left.

Additionally, when I turn the key off and turn the steering wheel to the "lock" position, that's about a 1/8 turn to the right of top dead center.

Is there something that I'm missing from aligning the wheel to be straight?

I didn't tie the steering wheel off when I swapped power steering boxes last year, so the wheel could have spun while disconnected from the box. Is there some additional adjustment that I'm missing?

Thanks

Bill

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
.. I wrote a response to this . But I don't see it. SO i'' TRY & GIVE YOU ANOTHER answer .
but not tonight . Grand SOn just showed up. fro a visit.

OP
OP
B

billscamaros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L EFI
PaPitt - thanks! I'll watch for it. I'm wondering it the wheel spun during the time that i had it disconnected, and that has goofed something up internally. Thanks!

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
OK SORRY I've just been very busy. I still work 45 hours a week & I'm 71 ... & i HAVE A BIG FARM ... WE'VE HAD 2 DAYS OF RAIN . & LOTS Of more unfinished projects .
... But I believe all you need to do I just pull your steering wheel & Put it back on just a few spline Left or Right .. Tighten the nut & drive around the block before putting every thing back together ...
. I don't think the steering wheel is splined so it'll go on at any position .
.............I hope I'm on the same page as your issue is . I'm thinking your steering wheel is off center when you driving .
...So I believe my statement is what your need to fix it.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Agree with above poster for the most part. First though make sure from facing straight ahead, that you have correct ( equal range of steering in both directions ) In other words if your steering wheel makes 2 turns right, and 2 turns left <-- just an example. Then yes just pull the steering wheel off and reset it. However if you get 1 3/4 turns left, and 2 1/2 turns to the right, then you have a different issue.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tie rod adjustment is the proper method. However jumping splines will be okay jus make sure wheel is tight.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
...Now that we've said remove the steering wheel & replace itwhere it straight .
Most of us old farmer around here will ask a shop ,''I can do my own'', But we remove the wheel & set it to where we can put our elbow on the widow elbow rest . AND WE CAN WRAP OUR FINGERS AROUND A CERTAIN PART OF THE WHEEL That lets us drive one handed. Basically I'll say the wheel is about a third cocked to the left . Steering wheels are different .
But I'll admit that's the way we like the wheel set.
... ALSO FOR DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE COUNTRY . Here a lost art. driving skill.
Country gravel roads . In rainy country a lot of roads will have a taller crown down the center of the road. By straddling the so call center strip your truck doesn't pull to one side or the other . GET OVER WHEN YOU MEET SOMEONE & THEN step back over the center strip.
. Up in WILBARGER County even the game warden drive like a country boy.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
As a professional road striper, roadways are always crowned for rain runoff, and nowdays deliberately banked and contoured for the same. State and Federal jobs often require what we call Popcorn as final top layer. It allows rain to seep through the top layer of pavement to the foundation layer beneath and runoff, so that water does not pool on the road.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
You aint the only old country farmer Pa Pitt, I shoveled cow manure since i was a young kid !