1997 1500 5.2 low idle and stalling issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 4x4 sport and 1997 1500 4x4 sport
Engine
11'= 5.7hemi 97'=5.2mag
Hey everyone, new to the dodge scene but loving it so far. My daily is a 2011 1500 CC 5.7 4x4 and thankfully its been flawless since I bought it.

My other toy is a 1997 1500 4x4 with a 5.2/ 5-speed. Its got 212,000km's and is a fairly solid truck all around. Since I picked it up I've noticed it had a low/rough idle and will stall occasionally when decelerating or coming to a stop.

I've searched around for typical causes for this and have so far come up with nothing to solve it. I've done the following repairs/diagnosis so far:

-resealed the plenum gasket and cleaned tb with the hughes kit. runs smoother, but no change for low idle.
-checked vacuum lines for leaks (except where they enter the cab through the firewall) couldn't find any issues
-tested for faulty idle speed motor with new solenoid, no difference
-tested voltage, signal and ground on tps and map sensors, both checked out to the best of my knowledge.
-changed out intake charge temp sensor, no change
-new plugs, wires, cap/rotor

KOEO self test came up with these codes:

12-15-25-42

Dunno what else to do, and like I said these are the first dodge trucks I've ever owned so I'm still learning the mopar tricks and basics.

Any input to help me getting this truck running smoother would be great. I'd rather beat on my 2nd gen since it already has a 6 inch lift and 37's. My 4th gen is too pretty to bag or take mudding.

Thanks in advance

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF.

12 is Problem with the battery connection. Direct battery input to pcm disconnected within the last 50 ignition key-on cycles. Disconnected the battery.

15 is A problem with the vehicle distance/speed signal. No distance/speed sensor signal detected during road load conditions.

25 is Idle Air Control (IAC) valve circuits. A shorted condition is detected in one or more of the IAC valve circuits.

42 is Auto shutdown relay (ASD)control circuit indicates an open or shorted circuit condition.

This came from the Haynes manual. The underlined is my input. Did you use the check engine flashing light to get the codes. If so you should have got a code 55 for the end of test.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
i have a similar problem found bad grounds and dirty batter connections battery often needing charge becuase i wasnt drivin far enough for battery recovery

Biohazard Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Mag
Im having he same same issues on my 01 5.2. im going to try the battery termanels first. will report back.

Biohazard Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Mag
The battery terminals needed cleaning but is not the issue. I'm 99% sure its got to do with the vac lines. And that's were I fall pretty short on knowledge of what they do, why they do it, and how to fix it. I come to this conclusion because I recently replaced the throw out bearing, ***** cylinder and hydraulic line. Now my truck runs like its been smoking non filter reds for its entire life, owes three years back child support and has worked every day of its life to only be told its ineligible for a stimulus check. It wezies like its last breath if it idles to long. When in gear it loses any ambition to go faster with the gas pedal completely punched down to the floor it would make Fred Flintstone shutter in envios pain. And when it does catch up to all the floor flooding Yabadadooing it can take, it slams all the power to the drive shaft at once and gives it one hell of a kick back to normal. this happens in every gear no matter what speed. I have found a vac line in the front of the throttle body that's pretty lose and hisses a lot. when I push it back in the idling issues supside for a bit then its straight back to the guy that just needs a vac line fix.

long story short can anyone send me in the right direction of a vac line diagram that explains where they go and what there job title is. O... and where can I find some new sand/carbon filter packs for the poor guy.

thank yall and god bless