1997 Ram Conversion to Dual Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Hello all. First post for me so go easy! I have a 1997 Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum, auto trans, 4wd, with 89K original miles . I just removed the 6.5' bed to straighten the front panel and then I will be pressure washer sandblasting the bed to remove the rust, followed by primer and paint. In the process I found that the rear bumper is in bad shape and needs replaced. As all my projects snowball, I am now thinking of changing over to dual exhaust , straight out the back. I like the Rams that have the half moon cutouts in the bumper for the exhaust pipes. Do any of you Ram guys (and gals) know what year the Rams started using this type bumper? And do you know if the bumper will fit my '97? I could not find a listing for this type bumper for a 1997, so I imagine it wasn't used until later. Anyone have any experience with this?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The RAM bumper with the exhaust cutouts started with the 2009 Model Year and in now way will it fit your truck without some serious modifications to the bumper and then a trip to a bumper shop to re-chrome.

There are many other custom ways to create a true dual exhaust setup for your truck that will look and sound great.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
In my 2000 with the 5.9 magnum, I removed the muffler and slipped in a glasspack with a larger pipe behind it. It sounded mean, but I seemed to have lost a some low end grunt and my mpg's suffered a bit (not that they were ever even close to good). The truck seemed to have a little more ass up high in the RPM's, which may have been fine for the drag strip, but that wasn't really why I bought a 4x4..... Not sure if it was a back pressure / exhaust scavenging issue as I don't know enough about the science of all that, but if you do go dual, consider the size of the pipes. Bigger is not always better....at least not with exhaust pipes.

Reactions: Mop

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually the 2009+ bumper fits with very little modification. Chill
Chill, huh? Like I said something that was out of line? I'm sorry. Didn't mean to tell so many lies and mislead the whole forum. Maybe my post should be reported to a moderator for breaking the rules. Sheesh!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Chill, huh? Like I said something that was out of line? I'm sorry. Didn't mean to tell so many lies and mislead the whole forum. Maybe my post should be reported to a moderator for breaking the rules. Sheesh!
Yeah chill lol. "Serious modifications and a trip to a bumper shop to be re-chromed".

You make it sound like it's this big pain in the ass project that only a professional should mess with. The reality is it's not really all that complicated, basically if you can drill holes in steel you can do it. Hell it's BP different than mounting the Ford/ Chevy/Toyota bumpers guys have been doing for a few years now.

No need to react like a child because i told you relax on your fear mongering

OP
OP
S

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Dang, my first post and it looks like I stirred up a hornets nest.
Considering that I have a 1997 Ram and the bumper in question arrived in 2009 it would make sense that Dodge made enough changes to the bumper and to the positioning of the mounting brackets that it would not be a direct bolt on mod. What really helps in these forums is when members offer their advice/opinion/knowledge with additional details to qualify it. We dont know the skill level of members so to say it's an easy job, hard job, or cant be done just becomes your opinion without backing it up. I was simply asking if anyone had any "experience" with this type of modification. It's fine to offer advice and opinions but keep in mind that there a wide range of skill sets (I'm sure) in this forum, and most anything can be done if you have the time, money, and skills. Time to go water blast.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum

Figure out yet why much of the actually helpful information gets passed around in the private messages yet?

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it possible to run out in a y out the corners of the bed? like behind the tires? Asking for a friend.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Is it possible to run out in a y out the corners of the bed? like behind the tires? Asking for a friend.
Very. Many of the aftermarket kits end that way and any muffler shop can do it too

Figure out yet why much of the actually helpful information gets passed around in the private messages yet?
Here's why i said "chill". The reply was posted without knowledge of how the different bumpers are mounted. It was more relevant to vehicles more unrelated or front bumpers. Most trucks mount the rear bumper in the same style/fashion with minor differences in widths, heights, lengths etc. Nearly any modern full size truck rear bumper can be installed on a different year or model of modern full size truck. It pretty much consists of making a plate with holes to bolt the bumper to the frame. It's a little bit of work but it's not a total custom fabrication shop special job.

Me saying "chill" was not in malice. I wasn't calling you a ******* or anything like that. There was no reason to get offended.

Dang, my first post and it looks like I stirred up a hornets nest.
Considering that I have a 1997 Ram and the bumper in question arrived in 2009 it would make sense that Dodge made enough changes to the bumper and to the positioning of the mounting brackets that it would not be a direct bolt on mod. What really helps in these forums is when members offer their advice/opinion/knowledge with additional details to qualify it. We dont know the skill level of members so to say it's an easy job, hard job, or cant be done just becomes your opinion without backing it up. I was simply asking if anyone had any "experience" with this type of modification. It's fine to offer advice and opinions but keep in mind that there a wide range of skill sets (I'm sure) in this forum, and most anything can be done if you have the time, money, and skills. Time to go water blast.
I always assume somebody can change their own oil, plugs and wires. Beyond that i assume they cant do anything else

OP
OP
S

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
"armallard, Is it possible to run out in a y out the corners of the bed? like behind the tires? Asking for a friend.[/QUOTE]

armallard- there are such aftermarket exhaust systems that supposedly bolt right in. They use a single muffler with dual outlets, and the tailpipes angle out the sides behind the rear tires. Supposedly with no mods, but I have not done it so I dont want to speak out of line. I prefer the look of the duals exiting the rear, and especially like how Dodge made the 2009 and later Sport bumpers molded around the pipes. Since nobody knows for sure about my original question I may try a boneyard for purchasing a used 2009 Sport bumper to see how it fits on my 1997.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Probably nit-picking, but a true dual exhaust starts at the manifolds or headers and stays separate all the way to the pipe exit. There are some variations that include a crossover tube or an "X" unit, but the main thing is that it uses 2 mufflers in parallel and doesn't neck down to a single pipe for any distance. The systems that start with a Y pipe into a single muffler with 2 outlets are really just considered dual tailpipe systems.

Taken a step further - there is a distinct difference in the sound a true dual exhaust system makes, compared to just twin tailpipes, or even crossover or X pipe systems for that matter. Twin tailpipe systems sound the same from both pipes, since the firing pulses have blended together and are every 90*. This also happens in crossover or X pipe systems, but some of them maintain a little of the character of true duals. With true duals the 2 pipes sound different when listened to from between them, since the firing order for either side doesn't happen in a regular basis.
From the rear, the firing order and resultant pulses are 1L,8R,4R,3L,6R,5L,7L,2R. To further explain - from the time #1 fires until the next cyl in the left bank (#3) fires is 270*, then (5) 180*, then (7) 90*, and 180* to get it back to #1. Same thing for the other bank. You hear the uneven firing cadence in the tails, especially with a lopey cam. While most customers wanted the cheapest exhaust that made the most power, I've had some "purists" insist on "true" duals, and that is why.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
"armallard, Is it possible to run out in a y out the corners of the bed? like behind the tires? Asking for a friend.

armallard- there are such aftermarket exhaust systems that supposedly bolt right in. They use a single muffler with dual outlets, and the tailpipes angle out the sides behind the rear tires. Supposedly with no mods, but I have not done it so I dont want to speak out of line. I prefer the look of the duals exiting the rear, and especially like how Dodge made the 2009 and later Sport bumpers molded around the pipes. Since nobody knows for sure about my original question I may try a boneyard for purchasing a used 2009 Sport bumper to see how it fits on my 1997.[/QUOTE]

A simple tape measure will probably tell you what you won't want to hear. I think you will find the 2009 and newer bumpers are shorter than the 2nd gens. The 2nd gens rear bumpers stick out past the bed side - on the newer ones the ends are recessed in a pocket. I kinda recall a buddy wanting to do the swap, and it would have either taken widening the 2009 style bumper or adding the pockets into the lower bed corners for the bumpers to tuck into.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The pics don't lie! It might have been a 3rd gen he tried. It was quite a few years ago. I just kinda remember him talking about not wanting to cut the pockets into his good box lowers.

I know it's blasphemy, but I like the GM rear bumpers with the step pockets in the ends and the trapezoid shaped tailpipe extensions. Luckily I have a brand new black powdercoated 2nd gen bumper in the box to go on, and I just installed a new single tailpipe exhaust.

OP
OP
S

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Hey man, thanks for the pics. You make a good point about the 2009 and later Rams having pockets in the lower section of the quarters. Thats a show stopper for me. I can machine most anything, so fab'ing mounting brackets is gravy; but body work is not for me. Looks like duals under the bumper or I leave the single side tailpipe and spend the savings on beer. Clint Eastwood said, " A man has got to know his limitations." Thanks.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah on a truck that isnt a dually it kinda pokes out. Fender flares can minimize it quite a bit though if you ever wanted to put those on