1998 1500 5.2 No spark. New crankshaft sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KnightHawk1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
My 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.2 just took a crap on me. I drove my truck to the shop I junk cars out of. When I went to start truck to hook to trailer it fired and ran for a second or two then died. Then after that I got nothing. Poured a little fuel in intake and nothing. Did some googling and suggested to check spark. I checked wire from distributor to cap and no spark. Then went back and checked coil no spark. Power wire on coil is hot. When checking the wire to tell it to fire I found it was not getting it's connection. So reading up says possibly crank sensor. Was gonna look at it more the next day. Did some more searching online and when I went to shop next day I messed with the crack sensor wire connector and it started right way. Moved truck around a few times that day with no problem on start. I went to Kroger on my way home that night. When I came out I got no spark. Went and got crank sensor and changed it. Still no spark. Still not getting signal at coil to spark. Went back next morning to see if it starts like it did before but still no fire. Friend is saying computer probably.

I would think a computer going out would have signs. Truck ran fine when it was running. But would not fire after warm and turned off. I did have a misfire on cylinder 8 a while back and changed plugs and cel went off but came back on a few months ago. Never got to see if it was misfire or what cause I lost my elm 327 device. Reset computer last night so now the light is off.

I'm hoping someone has an ideal of what to look at. I'm hoping not cam sensor. That's under the cap and it's hard to reach the back of the motor on this model. Hoping to find the problem without spending a lot of money to find it.

Edit,
I found how to test Cam sensor (pickup coil). Information says the signal wire should be putting out 5 volts to 0 Volts while cranking. While my dad cranked I seen 5 volts here and there but usually 0 to 3.5 to 0 to 2.5 to 0 to 4 to 0 to 5.3. So I do see 5 volts popping, Can't seem to find out if it should actually be 0 to 5 to 0 to 5 or if it will actually bounce around. The Pickup coil is 50 to 80 dollars. I don't want to pay that much for it and find out that isn't the problem. Already dished out 68 dollars for the crank sensor.

Would like to get my only vehicle back to running. I've only been without a vehicle for a few weeks in my life since I started driving. Sucks asking for rides every time you have to go somewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KnightHawk1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I just got me a new elm 327 and Torque Pro told me this morning P0320. I have a new crankshaft position sensor installed. Got a used but working Pickup Coil (Cam sensor) and just got a ECU from the Junkyard. Still refuses to start. What bothers me is the first time it quit I was able to start it the next day a few times moving it around at the shop. Then I drove about 20 minutes. Runs with no issues. But I turned it off at Kroger. Came out and it did the crank but no spark again.

Since then the Pickup Coil and ECU have been changed. Just looked at my ignition wiring in the steering wheel and it looked fine. I even jumped the starter with the key in run position to see if the run part was dead in the crank position. I've checked all the fuses and they look fine. I have found one broke wire and it can't be the problem. It's to the output speed sensor on the back of transmission.

While just sitting with key on I was looking at info in Torque pro and it said 1V at the O2 sensors. Don't know if that is cause it isn't running or if that is a sign of the problem.

Again when it was running it ran fine. No sign of any kind of problems. Just refuses to fire after you turn it off. I checked for fuel at the rail and there was fuel pressure. When I search this problem out it seems like a lot of people have done all I've done and haven't found the issue.

OP
OP
K

KnightHawk1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I figured out the problem. I did some testing with a multi meter. The Crankshaft Position Sensor that I bought was bad. The test I did kept showing the same voltage the whole time when it should be changing. I put the old one back in and it started right back up. So I went and bought a brand new Crankshaft sensor and installed it and now it's all good.

fulltimerart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always found it best not to buy used electrical/electronic parts----especially if they are hard to get to or replace. Just my 2 cent worth. Art

550K Mile 96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
was the bad crank sensor from Autozone? I stopped buying engine electroics from them a while ago.