1998 ram 5.2 Rpm surges to rev limiter while accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Levy1945

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1998 dodge ram 1500 5.2 46re. I was driving home the other day and went to pass someone and floored it. I was going about 60mph at around 4k rpm when the rpm jumped up and hit the red line and had no acceleration. It did that for a seccond or 2 and went back down to about 4k ish rpm and i was able to accelerate again. What would cause that. Od was on if that is something to consider

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Generally that means your band adjustment is too loose. You can adjust the front band externally but might as well drop the pan and do the filter and rear band while you're at it.

OP
OP
L

Levy1945

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I tried adjusting the trans bands and it seemed to improve shifting quality, but did not solve my problem. So I ended up adjusting the TV cable and it took a few attempts. I had also heard that if u put it in neutral and disconnect the tv cable and pull on it fast a few times it can help pass through any crap that might have accumulated. And after that my problem appears to have went away.