1999 1500 2wd bad steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinAltemara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
It feels like my ram has a crap ton of play in the steering and it just feels different when turning right then it does left, anyone have similar problems and what did yall do to fix it?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll want to give it a good shakedown. Check the tie rods, centerlink, idler, pitman for play. Even though the pitman and idler may not have left to right play, up and down play can cause issues.

Sometimes the strong gearbox isn't stiff enough and is often attributed to the death wobble, the bracket listed above will help, or you can make your own.

Don't forget to inspect the control arm bushings. If those are torn out it can cause strange issues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yup. Pull the truck up on some pavemwbt and lay under the front end while someone moves rhe steering left and right. Look for any movement in the pitman arm and idler arm that isn't left and right. Then look for the pitman arm. Look for any play where it connects to the center link. Any play left to right is bad. Then links between those 2 arms to the pitman arm should be super stiff. These are the most common places where the steering goes bad on 2wd tricks besides the actual steering box.

AK12MN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
You can also adjust the these Saginaw steering boxes. Check YouTube, but if you can afford it replace with a Redhead steering box.