1999 4x4 8.0l towing issues / questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sj781

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to the forums. Have a few questions about suspension, towing, and death wobble.

The previous owner removed the sway bars and put a leveling kit on the truck. I just got back from towing about 700 miles with a tandem axle trailer and race car (3500lbs total load). No problem towing but on the way back had a case of the death wobble on the interstate. Not fun to say the least. I completely rebuilt the front end 15k miles ago. Ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link, steering box, and track bar all Moog components. Also added a steering box stabilizer. The truck has always had a good bit of roll to it and the steering has alway wondered back and forth. I’ve been unable to find a sway bar for it. Could the sway bar missing be part of my trouble?

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Sway bars are all about limiting "front end roll" in corners. Surely some of the aftermarket shops would have one for you. Internet search come up with nothing? Summit Racing? BTW: If you do bigger loads regularly, I'd get the bigger bar if there's a choice. A 3500# pull shouldn't have caused any issues---tire quality or pressures good? Cheap radial tires cause problems too. Not to insult your intelligence, but was this trailer loaded with most of the weight to the front of the trailer? A rear-weight-loaded trailer can make for squirrely handling... But the steering constantly wandering is nothing to disregard. I would take it to a good front-end shop for analysis. A few bucks spent here might save a life. Happy trails.

OP
OP
S

Sj781

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trailer had ~11% tongue weight. Found a sway bar at a wrecking yard. Pulled the track bar and it was shot. Replaced it with a Moog unit. The rancho shocks that were on it were shot as well. Replaced them with Gabriel’s as well as a new steering damper. Truck seems solid now, very little roll and no bounce on the front end. Hopefully this will last for more than 15k miles. Fingers crossed!