1999 cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tristanb22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Bought a 99 cummins that used to have a tuner on it but I’m not sure what it was and I want to put one on it what do I do?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If this were my truck, I would take it to my local dealer and pay to have the ECM and the PCM updated with the latest software revision. Doing this would eliminate any aftermarket software in the ECM from a previous tuner.

That way when you install your new tuner you will have a clean slate to start with and you won't have any software battles going on between the old software and the new software.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Bought a 99 cummins that used to have a tuner on it but I’m not sure what it was and I want to put one on it what do I do?

I'd contact tech support for the tuner you want to install and see what they suggest. Many tuners simply pull whatever tune is installed in the ECM out, store it, and download their tune in. Removing the entire existing tune insures a clean slate to re-write their whole tune. I don't think it matters if the new tuner is removing a stock or another companies tune.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
You could also ask the previous owner what it was if it was a private party sale. Maybe they still have it and will let it go cheap?

Other than that, I'd either go the dealer route, or what evil spirit said.

However personally Id just keep it stock. these trucks run forever stock, some runs forever tuned, some melt pistons tuned.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If you want to speak with someone knowledgeable, call Mark Chapple at TST Products. He is a former Cummins engineer.

PIPTHEREDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Watch out it could have a the 53 block. In that case I would not buy the truck.