1999 Dodge ram front end kit instation help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Before U-tube, we used Chiltons or Haynes manuals...

or simply took the dam thing apart and reinstalled everything. So we had to use our brains...and sometimes we messed up and had to re do it.

Use your phone camera to take photos for reference before removing anything. We would've have done that back in the day, but it took a week to get the photos printed at the local Rexall or Kmart. Phones and cameras were two different devices.

I'd suggest taking the steering (tie rods) out at the steering knuckles and Pittman arm, lining up the new pieces and assembling them so the assembled lengths are as close to the old parts as possible. Then install them on the truck. That way your Caster and toe in isn't too far off.

The ball joints. Requires you to remove brakes and calipers, rotors, hub bearing assemblies, and front driveshafts. Calipers can be tied to the front springs.

Then you can start with removing the hub bearing nut...

Depending on how long it's been, you will expend a lot of cuss words. I also know that there are videos on removing the hub bearings and pulling ball joints. It's a pretty straightforward job though, and no amount of video watching can prepare you for rusted in parts or stubborn ball joints.
You'll also need a ball joint puller, and at least one or two special sockets. Air tools are extremely helpful. Patience and a 24 oz ball pein hammer are helpful.

Have fun.

patrickocake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Ram 94-01 are pretty much the same type of disaster underneath lol

I agree with Okiespaniel. And the video I posted does the ball joints. However, the same company also has videos on each dimension of the steering.

...and don't forget the aftermarket steering box stabilizer. Look that one up. It's kinda necessary before 01 when they went to rack and pinion...I believe that's when they did.

Reactions: Mop

Mercruth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Before U-tube, we used Chiltons or Haynes manuals...

or simply took the dam thing apart and reinstalled everything. So we had to use our brains...and sometimes we messed up and had to re do it.

Use your phone camera to take photos for reference before removing anything. We would've have done that back in the day, but it took a week to get the photos printed at the local Rexall or Kmart. Phones and cameras were two different devices.

I'd suggest taking the steering (tie rods) out at the steering knuckles and Pittman arm, lining up the new pieces and assembling them so the assembled lengths are as close to the old parts as possible. Then install them on the truck. That way your Caster and toe in isn't too far off.

The ball joints. Requires you to remove brakes and calipers, rotors, hub bearing assemblies, and front driveshafts. Calipers can be tied to the front springs.

Then you can start with removing the hub bearing nut...

Depending on how long it's been, you will expend a lot of cuss words. I also know that there are videos on removing the hub bearings and pulling ball joints. It's a pretty straightforward job though, and no amount of video watching can prepare you for rusted in parts or stubborn ball joints.
You'll also need a ball joint puller, and at least one or two special sockets. Air tools are extremely helpful. Patience and a 24 oz ball pein hammer are helpful.

Have fun.

Yeah, I don't envy you. Doing my whole front end later this year. But I'm gonna upgrade the tie rod set up to the 09-10 setup and get rid of that ****** Y tie rod setup. Then Ball joints, upper and lower, wheel bearings and CV joints. Also front drive shaft. I expect a lot of cussing if the shock installs were a forcast of the job ahead....Good luck man.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, I don't envy you. Doing my whole front end later this year. But I'm gonna upgrade the tie rod set up to the 09-10 setup and get rid of that ****** Y tie rod setup. Then Ball joints, upper and lower, wheel bearings and CV joints. Also front drive shaft. I expect a lot of cussing if the shock installs were a forcast of the job ahead....Good luck man.
Old post check them dates