1st gear acts like park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D3wy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum
First things first i have spent hours on this forum and others trying to find someone that as the same issues im having and i cant find anything expect this post
That is close but its a 3RD GEN and he was still able to drive it

So about a week ago i was on my home and everything was fine and i stopped at a light and took off just fine and then once i got up to about 45mph it pretty much went to neutral so I of course let off and it caught back to 3rd and then dropped to First immediately after and threw me forward at that point i put it in neutral and pulled over and restarted the truck and put it in first manually and it would not move unless it was at 2700RPM and it would creep forward but when i let off it rolled back and forth like i put it in park so i put it in second manually and it would move and limped it the last half mile home at 15MPH ish

So here is what i have Done/Tried so far
resetting the computer system
input speed sensor
output speed sensor
front band adjustment
shift linkage adjustment
tv cable adjustment

What i have discovered is if i unplug the 8 pin trans plug i can put it in first and roll forward like normal and i can drive it with 1-2
then when i plug it back in it acts like park so I'm pretty sure that its the pressure governor / transducer but before i go and replace them i just what to see what yall think of this

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Your 1999 magnum has the four speed with electronic over drive. With the way it is acting you need to take it into a good transmission shop and have them look at it. You may get lucky and it just needs a fluid change and the bands adjusted and pressure regulator changed, but from the symptoms you describe, high revs in order to move forward, as in transmission is slipping badly, there is also a reasonable chance the transmission needs a rebuild. Let us know how you make out.