1st Gen Cummins rear tire not spinning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stgenBlueC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hello everyone thanks for taking the time to look over my problem. Recently i have been having an issue with my 1992 D250 5.9 SCLB. Every time i would start the truck up and put it in drive in fights me on going forward almost like my E brake is stuck, originally it would eventually go away and drive like normally. Today I put it in drive and it wouldnt move at all, I feel it trying and instead it left a rut. I put it in reverse and it backs up without even throttle. Come to find out my passenger side tire in locked up an will only spin in reverse not drive. my driver side spins back and forward. Anyone able to shed some light on this issue?

Also I put this into general because Im not sure of the problem, I apologies. Thank you.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You need to jack up the entire rear, put it in neutral and spin the drive shaft and see what happens. You might be fighting the transmission turning 1 wheel at a time depending on the type of rear dif you have. If I had to bet I would put money on your transmission, if it was brakes or bearings I think you would see it in both directions

OP
OP

1stgenBlueC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Im pretty sure its a dana 70. This has been happening for months this time it didnt loosen up and spin though. It wasnt till today that i realized the tire didnt rotate i was under the impression it was internal fluid draining in my tranny. Ill lift the rear and test what you asked.

OP
OP

1stgenBlueC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You need to jack up the entire rear, put it in neutral and spin the drive shaft and see what happens. You might be fighting the transmission turning 1 wheel at a time depending on the type of rear dif you have. If I had to bet I would put money on your transmission, if it was brakes or bearings I think you would see it in both directions

Alright i put the rear of the truck on jack stands and twisted the driveshaft and it moves freely back and forth and moves the drivers side tire in sync. The passenger side is still not moving but when i shake it the tire has about an 1/8 inch of play when turning. Is it possible that something on the passenger side is locked up? If it was the diff or transmission would the driveshaft not twist?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Pull the brake drum off, check the brakes and wheel bearings. There shouldn’t be any play, if there is the bearings are loose or shot.

Possibly a brake component has broken or failed from corrosion and it’s fallen out of place and wedged against the drum. That could cause it to jam in one direction.

OP
OP

1stgenBlueC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Pull the brake drum off, check the brakes and wheel bearings. There shouldn’t be any play, if there is the bearings are loose or shot.

Possibly a brake component has broken or failed from corrosion and it’s fallen out of place and wedged against the drum. That could cause it to jam in one direction.
Its got the 1/8th inch of play while its off the ground and in neutral. Ill have to check them

OP
OP

1stgenBlueC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Alright well i didnt think i had time today to pull everything apart so i just knocked the drum around a bit and put the tire back on. I let it idle in neutral the got in and put it in drive. It was fighting me but after a couple seconds it got easy and after abut 100ft the truck was able to pull itself forward just idleing in drive. Problem is that this will happen everytime. Today was the first time its ever locked up this bad. Ill be ordering some drum brake kit and rebuilding that side.