1st gen transmission compatibility.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bernhardt97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello first things first I am to to this forum so I might not be doing this right not sure anyways I am here to get some info about my tranny and rebuild compatibility and hopefully just understanding it all a little better. I have a first gen Cummins with I believe a 3 speed with auto drive should be a 46rh from my research and it needs rebuilt or replaced. I've seen some rebuild kits for 47re or rh that do say compatible with 46re and Rh and some that don't.ive specifically been looking at the 47re from Suncoast I believe but I wasn't sure if it was compatible or not. Also looking at the monster 46rh to just replace mine with. I would like it to be a upgraded transmission somewhere in the middle level 2 or 3 stage. Anyways hopefully you guys can help me understand it all just a little better and maybe have some input and or some other brands that are better. I'm thinking I'd be ok with spending 3000$ on a tranny if that's too low let me know too.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
welcome to the forum.

if you have a 3 speed 1st gen Cummins, you probably have a 727 behind it not a a518/46rh. the 46rh is a 4 speed- overdrive auto.

if it's like the gassers, the 46rh should bolt up like the 727, but I'd see if a 1st gen cummins expert chimes in to confirm that. the only tricky part would be getting the overdrive solenoid wired properly.

If you're talking about rebuilding your current trans, I'm a big fan of doing it your self. the 727s are pretty easy to do if you have some general auto mechanical experience. you can get hi-po rebuild kits for way less than $3000. I don't remember the 727 requiring any special tools. the 46rh does require a special tool to service the OD.

89D150LE440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read a lot of bad things about the Monster trannies. They're not actually rebuilding them.

OP
OP
B

Bernhardt97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It's a 4 speed with autodrive. I just thought they called them 3 speed with autodrive being the forth.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've also heard mixed reviews for Monster transmission.

it might be hard to find a performance built diesel 46rh. may only have slightly better luck with a 46re.

may be easier to see if there's any reputable trans shops locally and see if they can do a custom rebuild on your old unit. you could even buy all the parts you want upgraded and drop it off for the shop and pay the labor.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
What the 47 series (94+) have over the diesel 46rh (aka a518) is a lockup converter. The RE version (96+) needs a computer to control it. The gas 46rh can also be lockup, just not the diesel.

727 and a518 torque converters for diesels are the same (non-lockup).

Rebuild kits may cover several transmissions in this series. They are all 727 based, with an overdrive tacked on the end, plus some strength improvements as the years progress.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
What year model is yours Bernhardt97...
...I'm following this Because I have an old post with these questions .
Mine is a 1989 Very 1st 727 & Diesel sold when the Diesels made their debut.
I had a part store for 30 years . But that was 20 years ago.
Now back in my day I sold a lot od ''ATP'' Brand transmission part kits .Back then they only cost about $85.00 ...
Now I EXPECT TODAY they'd be $350.00 +r-.
Now These kit's I SOLD HAD all the seals ... all the gaskets ... lip rings ... & CLUTCH DISK , FIBER'S & STEEL . .
tHEN YOU HAD TO also order the Torque Convertor .. I preferred to sell PCI convertors out of Tennessee .. & The if any of you internal hard pard were bad then you had to ... Find them .. There were other wear-houses that sold hard parts. I don't remember them off the top of my head.
....... When I did my personal trans I'd try & pick up about 2 extra trans like mine .
Then we'd take them apart & Use the best parts in my trans . I didn't do my own building I'd just get all my parts gathered up & I had a couple of mechanics ... Buddies I'd take beer after work & We'd build a trans . I might give his a Hundred ... But a lot of time if he didn't have anything else going on. We'd just drink our beer & build a trans took maybe 2 hours most of the time.
.......... Very long ways from you $3000.00 offer ... Find a Buddie.