1st Impressions: Rigd Ultraswing Mega-fit Spare tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
For the original poster, could you please measure the distance from the swings pivot point to the far side of your spare tire, and what size is your spare?

Ok, to answer your questions: 37 X 12.5 in spare on 8.5 in AEV Katla rim
Arm extends out 39 1/2 in full open
Arm to tailgate clearance (arm closed obviously) 7 in
Top of tire to top of tailgate (arm closed) 4 1/2 in. remember the mount tilts in at the top so the tire doesn`t fall off while mounting

*Keep in mind, I have a Gear America recovery shackle hitch installed in the receiver which extends out about 4 or 5 in, when the arm swings out it does not hit/rub the shackle at all, there`s about 3/4 in clearance and the tire itself sits even higher...
Unless you have a trailer spare tire mount on the very end of the trailer tongue, I don`t think you would have any clearance issues, especially considering these trucks sit high stock and usually require a "drop-hitch" to keep the tongue height correct.
If you`re still unclear on clearances and "real world" tow ratings give the manuf a call, they`re very helpful.
Pics on the website are also very helpful...see previous posts for contact info.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Client of mine live well into his 90’s. He had been a deck hand on a ship in WW2. Or at least that is what he told to his grave. At his funeral, the Navy performed their honors which was very elaborate his son said. His son mentioned this to the officers afterwards. They asked him what he thought his dad did in WW2. When he said a deck hand, they laughed. Then said “son, your dad was one of the the first in Navy special ops and they now call them SEALs. Your dad sunk a German ship with scuba gear and a bomb.”

Great story.

That was when men were men!

Now 'men' need help lifting and lowering a tailgate.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Client of mine live well into his 90’s. He had been a deck hand on a ship in WW2. Or at least that is what he told to his grave. At his funeral, the Navy performed their honors which was very elaborate his son said. His son mentioned this to the officers afterwards. They asked him what he thought his dad did in WW2. When he said a deck hand, they laughed. Then said “son, your dad was one of the the first in Navy special ops and they now call them SEALs. Your dad sunk a German ship with scuba gear and a bomb.”

Remember the sinking of the HMT Rhona. It took over 50 years for my family to be notified of how my father's cousin had died in the US Army Air Corps. I notified my WW2 US Army veteran father of his decease in the early 2000's after finding his name listed in some declassified documents on the internet. The surviving family members have since learned that he was seen alive after the sinking, but must have died at sea. It put some rest on the vague notice of lost at sea which was provided to them in 1943.

"Of the 1,138 men who were killed, 1,015 were US personnel. The attack is the largest loss of US troops at sea due to enemy action in a single incident.* A further 35 US troops of the 2,000 originally embarked, later died from their wounds."

*1,177 died on the USS Arizona.

"In order to prevent the Germans from learning about the success of their cutting-edge remote-controlled bomb, the U.S. government disclosed only vague details about the incident, such as that around 1,000 men had been lost at sea. By and large, this secrecy stayed in place following the war. Finally, after a survivor secured the release of relevant documents under the Freedom of Information Act, the Birmingham News published a piece on the Rohna in 1993 that was picked up by the Associated Press. The first reunion of Rohna survivors took place later that year, a monument was dedicated at Alabama’s Fort Mitchell National Cemetery in 1996 and a few books on the subject came out in 1997 and 1998. Congress then got involved, honoring both the dead and the survivors in a 2000 resolution. “The men who gave their lives for their country on board this ship were heroes who deserve to be recognized and not forgotten,” congressman Jack Metcalf, the resolution’s sponsor, said on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives that September. “All Americans need to learn of their bravery and sacrifice.”"

Some additional information of which I have no association with...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rohna/rohna-classified-its-time-to-tell-the-truth

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
I`m digin that black on black! I just wouldn`t want to keep that baby clean..lol

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I`m digin that black on black! I just wouldn`t want to keep that baby clean..lol

As one of the 'Black on Black' PW owners...it's a ***** to keep it clean. That's why I don't have many pictures of mine that don't show it wet after a bath.

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
I live in the mtns with snow/sleet in the winter, haven`t had any issues with rust so far!
You are in the bay area, " a much saltier environment" try cleaning her up (sanding/touch-up paint) and putting a good coat of ceramic sealant! A good ceramic sealant can last 1-5 yrs depending on quality of brand, I prefer ADAM`s products, avail on-line...

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So here is an update. I spoke to RIGD and after looking at the pictures they confirmed "It is not normal to see rust unless the coating was compromised. It does look like everything is rusting and not just the UltraSwing. All the coatings ( unit,latch,table) are different and all seem to be negatively affected by the climate or some sort of outside element." They then point out the coating is not covered by warranty. I obviously will be fighting this but 1700 dollars later and 3 months of being in "the elements" and entire things is a rust bucket? they should be sending me a new one and not hiding behind a warranty. Doesnt matter if you are in a salty environment or the mountains, if it sealed right it shouldnt rust for a few years

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
That sucks...sounds like you got a bag apple for sure!
Send them more detailed pics, mention that you will be posting on several forums if not resolved!

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So RIGD is saying "This warranty excludes problems caused by normal wear and tear including, but not limited to, scratches, dents, or aesthetic oxidation of surfaces, natural breakdown of colors and materials over extended time and use, commercial use, accidents, or unlawful vehicle operation."

I had it on the back of my truck for 3 months. buyer beware and steer clear of buying one of these.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
So RIGD is saying "This warranty excludes problems caused by normal wear and tear including, but not limited to, scratches, dents, or aesthetic oxidation of surfaces, natural breakdown of colors and materials over extended time and use, commercial use, accidents, or unlawful vehicle operation."

I had it on the back of my truck for 3 months. buyer beware and steer clear of buying one of these.

Gah man so unfortunate they aren't standing behind their product.

Was eyeing one for the future but will steer clear based solely on the way they're handling the situation.

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to know. Was just about to pull the trigger on getting one.

Back to options...

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My Wilco is still factory fresh. Maybe give them a try? Or many local fan shops should be able to chemical strip and powder coat your existing rack now. Maybe propose to your company splitting the cost as a compromise?