Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Impressions: Rigd Ultraswing Mega-fit Spare tire Carrier

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Power Wagon' started by Rick Ram-jet, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Rick Ram-jet

Rick Ram-jet Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
    Engine:
    6.4 L
    Ok, to answer your questions: 37 X 12.5 in spare on 8.5 in AEV Katla rim
    Arm extends out 39 1/2 in full open
    Arm to tailgate clearance (arm closed obviously) 7 in
    Top of tire to top of tailgate (arm closed) 4 1/2 in. remember the mount tilts in at the top so the tire doesn`t fall off while mounting

*Keep in mind, I have a Gear America recovery shackle hitch installed in the receiver which extends out about 4 or 5 in, when the arm swings out it does not hit/rub the shackle at all, there`s about 3/4 in clearance and the tire itself sits even higher...
    Unless you have a trailer spare tire mount on the very end of the trailer tongue, I don`t think you would have any clearance issues, especially considering these trucks sit high stock and usually require a "drop-hitch" to keep the tongue height correct.
    If you`re still unclear on clearances and "real world" tow ratings give the manuf a call, they`re very helpful.
    Pics on the website are also very helpful...see previous posts for contact info.

56PW17 and Rollertb like this.
  2. dexter

dexter Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
    Engine:
    6.4L
    Great story.

That was when men were men!

Now 'men' need help lifting and lowering a tailgate.

bellaireroad and ALRedneck like this.
  3. ALRedneck

ALRedneck Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Greatest Generation! They were tough as hell back then. That’s when the American public could stomach what it takes the win a war too.

dexter likes this.
  4. Grand Mesa

Grand Mesa Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 PW
    Engine:
    6.4L
    Remember the sinking of the HMT Rhona. It took over 50 years for my family to be notified of how my father's cousin had died in the US Army Air Corps. I notified my WW2 US Army veteran father of his decease in the early 2000's after finding his name listed in some declassified documents on the internet. The surviving family members have since learned that he was seen alive after the sinking, but must have died at sea. It put some rest on the vague notice of lost at sea which was provided to them in 1943.

"Of the 1,138 men who were killed, 1,015 were US personnel. The attack is the largest loss of US troops at sea due to enemy action in a single incident.* A further 35 US troops of the 2,000 originally embarked, later died from their wounds."

*1,177 died on the USS Arizona.

"In order to prevent the Germans from learning about the success of their cutting-edge remote-controlled bomb, the U.S. government disclosed only vague details about the incident, such as that around 1,000 men had been lost at sea. By and large, this secrecy stayed in place following the war. Finally, after a survivor secured the release of relevant documents under the Freedom of Information Act, the Birmingham News published a piece on the Rohna in 1993 that was picked up by the Associated Press. The first reunion of Rohna survivors took place later that year, a monument was dedicated at Alabama’s Fort Mitchell National Cemetery in 1996 and a few books on the subject came out in 1997 and 1998. Congress then got involved, honoring both the dead and the survivors in a 2000 resolution. “The men who gave their lives for their country on board this ship were heroes who deserve to be recognized and not forgotten,” congressman Jack Metcalf, the resolution’s sponsor, said on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives that September. “All Americans need to learn of their bravery and sacrifice.”"

Some additional information of which I have no association with...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rohna/rohna-classified-its-time-to-tell-the-truth

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:51 PM
    56PW17 and ALRedneck like this.