1st oil change....good times.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Every oil change should take 2 hours, a trip to the part store and completion in the dark.

Of course the oil filter was too tight a 6'7" 275lb man can't break it free. I can't fit large pliers in there so to the store for a oil filter wrench. No worries. Wrench goes right on BUT the ratchet wouldn't fit between the steering and bottom of the wrench. Wtf. So after a little engineering project(smashed the top of the filter wrench in with a hammer) it breaks free, oil to my elbow and everywhere else in its path. Is it that hard to locate it somewhere more convenient??

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
FCA employs a gorilla to install the oil filters on these trucks at the factory, the tighter he makes the filters the more bananas they give him...lol
You subsequent oil filters won't be anywhere near as bad. A strap wrench should be all you need.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA employs a gorilla to install the oil filters on these trucks at the factory, the tighter he makes the filters the more bananas they give him...lol
You subsequent oil filters won't be anywhere near as bad. A strap wrench should be all you need.

Dude, i seriously have a pulled stomach muscle i've been dealing with for a couple of days now, i read this and well it hurt. So funny!

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had the same issue on my first oil change. So I took it to the dealership (had a free oil change) and told them I needed the oil change and they better not crank that oil filter on so tight that a normal person can't get it off. They changed the oil and next time it was much easier to take off. However, it still sucks at the location of the filter.

dgibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every oil change should take 2 hours, a trip to the part store and completion in the dark.

Of course the oil filter was too tight a 6'7" 275lb man can't break it free. I can't fit large pliers in there so to the store for a oil filter wrench. No worries. Wrench goes right on BUT the ratchet wouldn't fit between the steering and bottom of the wrench. Wtf. So after a little engineering project(smashed the top of the filter wrench in with a hammer) it breaks free, oil to my elbow and everywhere else in its path. Is it that hard to locate it somewhere more convenient??

I worked as a oil changer at a Chev Corvette shop in the mid 70's. Every new oil filter was a monster to get off. Of course back then a huge pair of pliers worked. I use a self tightening oil filter wrench that you slip over the whole filter.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my first oil at 1500 miles, I had read here several times that it was very tight from the factory and prepared myself mentally for the challenge. However mine wasn't too tight at all, it was a non issue on my 2017 hemi. The filter location does suck though, no matter how careful I am with the zip-lok I always drip some.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oil Change instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change: $20.00
Coffee: $1.00
Total: $21.00

Oil Change instructions for Men :

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.
2) Stop by 7/11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
19) Remember drain plug from step 11.
20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
21) Drink beer.
22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
25) Begin cussing fit.
26) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.
28) Beer.
29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
30) Beer.
31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
32) Beer.
33) Lower car from jack stands.
34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.
35) Beer.
36) Test drive car.
37) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
38) Car gets impounded.
39) Call loving wife, make bail.
40) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts: $50.00
DUI: $2500.00
Impound fee: $75.00
Bail: $1500.00
Beer: $20.00
Total: $4,145.00
But you know the job was done right!

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
21) Drink beer.
22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
25) Begin cussing fit.
28) Beer.
30) Beer.
32) Beer.
34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.
35) Beer.
36) Test drive car.
38) Car gets impounded.

Money spent:

That is just what I needed this morning it’s Friday and you know how Friday workdays can go kind a like that oil change except for the beer making it worse

Ps you describe a ram oil change pretty good you must’ve done this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the monkeys at FCA overtighten the oil filter like crazy. I was able to reach in with an oil filter plier to loose it but not without puncturing the filter house and having oil all over the place.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought mine used so I never ran into that issue. The only problem I have is trying to spill as little as possible while trying to pull the filter out.

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
I changed my first oil at 1500 miles, I had read here several times that it was very tight from the factory and prepared myself mentally for the challenge. However mine wasn't too tight at all, it was a non issue on my 2017 hemi. The filter location does suck though, no matter how careful I am with the zip-lok I always drip some.
I never thought about using a zip lock bag. Genius!!

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The ziploc bag trick works only as well as your ability to hold the bag as you unscrew the filter and have it drop in nicely. I’m 2 for 3 so far in not having an oily disaster.... brake cleaner on standby!

KentG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 DT Big Horn
Engine
HEMI 5.7 V8
Found this thread and wanted to point out, who ever puts these damn filters on has arms like Popeye.

I spent 4 hours trying to remove the damn filter and could not get it to budge at all, What i did do, is squish it enough that it cracked and poured oil all over myself and the drive way. I would of never expected that a oil change on a factory filter at 2100 miles would be so hard.

Ended up going to the dealer today, and having them pop it off and finish the oil change (hell i got another free one out of it). But come on that location and it being torqued down like that is just rediclous.

Any one know of a filer relocation kit for the DT styles that works well. Because after yesterday and today, i would be happy to move it.

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t think fca could have purposefully found a worse place for the filter.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agreed that the first oil change was a struggle.
With the use of a zip-lock bag (thanks to reading this forum) and a K&N filter that has a 1" nut built into the bottom of it, changing the oil is much less challenging. Best wishes.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The assholes(engineers)strike again.I'm sure they spend most of their time trying to figure out how to make life harder for techs.

JPW_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used a strap wrench, ~10 inch extension and got it off. Ziplock bag helped but still some spillage. Also whatever the bar is below the drain plug will make a oil mess once the flow slows down since it’s right in the way. I wrapped that bar in Cling Wrap so clean up was easier. Will prob look into a Fumoto valve to extend that and make changes easier.

7 quarts was a surprise but I guess it’s not bad for a 5.7 V8. Better than the 15 quarts my 7.3 diesel needed!!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Love the Oi

2) Drink a cup of coffee

Money spent:

10) Unscrew drain plug.
21) Drink beer.
25) Begin cussing fit.
28) Beer.
30) Beer.
32) Beer.
35) Beer.
36) Test drive car.
38) Car gets impounded.

Money spent:

This too funny except its also too true.
Cannot put a price on knowing it was done right.
No matter what the Wife, Cop, Lawyers and Judge say.

Troutman561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did my first change on my 2019. My neighbors probably think I am insane and/or a sailor with all the colorful self commentary. I even started laughing at one point because it was so F'ing ridiculous that it was taking me that long to change the oil. It is almost pushing me to have the dealer do it but I like being able to put in 5w/30 without dealer judgement. The whole thing pissed me off. Makes me miss my 2001 Tundra oil changes that took 5 minutes. I will try the ziplock thing next time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963