1st oil change....good times.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Remember: Use the big ziploc freezer bag. The little sandwich bags won’t cut it. And have a can of brake cleaner ready... for when you try the sandwich bag and end up oiling half the truck frame and driveway....

Rabbit929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque Hemi
Oil Change instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change: $20.00
Coffee: $1.00
Total: $21.00

Oil Change instructions for Men :

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.
2) Stop by 7/11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
19) Remember drain plug from step 11.
20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
21) Drink beer.
22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
25) Begin cussing fit.
26) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.
28) Beer.
29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
30) Beer.
31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
32) Beer.
33) Lower car from jack stands.
34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.
35) Beer.
36) Test drive car.
37) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
38) Car gets impounded.
39) Call loving wife, make bail.
40) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts: $50.00
DUI: $2500.00
Impound fee: $75.00
Bail: $1500.00
Beer: $20.00
Total: $4,145.00
But you know the job was done right!

This made my day. You’d think after how many times it’s happened this way we would know better. xD

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, its a man thing if you want it done right you have to do it yourself, there's something about being under your truck a feeling of accomplishment got to give Wahrsuul credit for hanging in there!!!

Dogpatch

Senior Member - Ram Nut
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t work on my own vehicle for the most part.

I bleed just looking at a wrench! LOL

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every oil change should take 2 hours, a trip to the part store and completion in the dark.

Of course the oil filter was too tight a 6'7" 275lb man can't break it free. I can't fit large pliers in there so to the store for a oil filter wrench. No worries. Wrench goes right on BUT the ratchet wouldn't fit between the steering and bottom of the wrench. Wtf. So after a little engineering project(smashed the top of the filter wrench in with a hammer) it breaks free, oil to my elbow and everywhere else in its path. Is it that hard to locate it somewhere more convenient??

I do not know about FCA, but I DO know for a fact that GM Powertrain division and Fisher Body are different entities who refused to correspond up until 1995! If any of you all remember having to remove the trans crossmember to gain access to the rear trans pan bolts just to do a trans filter service, that was a result of interdepartmental fueding! When GM/Europe's CEO (Perez) came stateside and took over GM in 1996, heads rolled and he put a stop to all the childishness going on.... By 1998 YM model release, trucks/SUV's, one didn't need to remove the trans crossmember just to do a service. This is only one of many improvements Perez championed! Of course, VW Norht America stole him away from GM a few years later.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
I can't tell you how much better I feel after reading your stories. I thought I was the only idiot who couldn't get the filter to come off. I also resorted to using a hammer to tap on the filter wrench.

I thought I could screw in a Fumoto valve while the oil was draining. Nope. I was afraid I would cross-thread, so all that oil went splashing everywhere. I'm throwing away my old favorite sweatshirt now.

Luckily, we're planning on repaving the driveway, so my Valdez oil spill won't matter by the end of summer.

One good idea, using a Fumoto drain is I can use a 3/8" ID hose to drain direct to a container. I'm thinking of using a 10L water bag of the type you take camping.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
tip for all the newbies. the rubber valve in the top of the filter is whats holds oil in all the upper end passages. once you unscrew the filter and pull it away the the boss youve just pulled the cork from the dam. only pull the filter away 1/16 to 1/8" and hold it there to limit the rush of oil. figured people would figured that out by now

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I also rotate my tires with every oil change.
It's so much easier doing that on the lift. At the dealership. While I take a nap...

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When using the gallon size ziplock bags, work the bag up over the filter until the filter bottoms out in the bag. Slowly loosen the filter and let it drain into the bag. Hold onto the bag and loosen your grip while the bag fills with oil. Continue to unscrew the filter slowly with the bag filling. When you see oil no longer draining into the bag unscrew the filter and let it ease into the bag. Grip the bag and slip it out from the chassis. If you can seal it before doing so, you’ve got it mastered. You’ll go faster each time you change the oil and you’ll never spill any oil. Keep a rag and brake cleaner close by because we know how it really goes when using the word “never.”
My wife wondered why I save all her gallon size ziplock bags. I showed her and she thinks it’sa fantastic plan.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’m not sure what everyone’s problem is. I reached up and twisted it off by hand. Carefully brought the filter down, slid out from under the truck and tossed it without a drop of oil on me, the floor or the frame. Screwed the new one on, filled it up.

Done in 5 minutes.

This isn’t rocket science……

Is how I really wanted it to go. But these damn FCA engineers are laughing at us. Guaranteed.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Many years ago I would change the oil in my girlfriends old ******. First time I did I had the same problem. Thought the filter was put on with an impact gun. Cussed the person that did the last change! Next time rolls around & that thing was on there tight again! This time I just barely tightened the filter on there. So little I was hoping that it wasn't going to leak. Go to change oil again & it was super tight again. As it goes down the road it must just keep sucking it on there tighter & tighter. Kind of like she used to! :laughing1:
For those who say just have a shop do it. No way! I have seen & heard of way too many horror stories to do that. You don't really save any money doing it yourself but at least you know what oil is going into it & you know it is done right. I will be doing mine until I cannot physically do it any longer. Then I will be standing there in the shop window with my cane making sure they do it right!:hat: