1st ram purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all. I'm new to Ram trucks. I'm in a position to purchase a 2015 ram 2500 6.7l 4x4 CC LB truck. It's slightly used with 400k (yes 4 hundred thousand) miles. Has factory emissions. Looking to purchase from a trusted neighbor for $10-12k. I miss my last Chevy diesel that got struck my lightning and been driving a gasser since. Any thoughts on things to look for (known weak spots)? Setting up an appointment for a prepurchase inspection with a local diesel mechanic tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Welcome, what do you plan to use your truck for ? The weak spot, as with any diesel is all the EPA stuff. 400000 miles, anything from nickel and dime repairs to some major dollar repairs.

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Daily driver. Some moderate towing 7-8k. My gasser does it fine now. However, my son is turning 16 soon, so he's getting my my truck and I'm looking for something for me as a replacement. Not worried so much about normal wear and tear items. I'm interested in stuff like know weak transmissions, issues in the drive line, things like that so I know what to ask the mechanic about so I don't look like a complete noob.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Transmission is a weak spot if you bump up the power. The overdrive clutches just can't handle more power coupled with aggressive driving for very long. On stock power, you really don't have too much to worry about although 400k is getting very close to a tranny rebuild if it hasn't already happened yet. Longest I have heard of a 68RFE transmission going without a rebuild on stock power is a little over 600k. Engine is pretty much bullet proof aside from the emissions stuff which all diesels have issues with.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I'm new to Ram trucks. I'm in a position to purchase a 2015 ram 2500 6.7l 4x4 CC LB truck. It's slightly used with 400k (yes 4 hundred thousand) miles. Has factory emissions. Looking to purchase from a trusted neighbor for $10-12k. I miss my last Chevy diesel that got struck my lightning and been driving a gasser since. Any thoughts on things to look for (known weak spots)? Setting up an appointment for a prepurchase inspection with a local diesel mechanic tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
:welcome:

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to RamForum.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Weakness is rfe, but it is also very buildable and easy to build. Especially for diesels, almost all the upgrades are specifically for diesels and the 68. If your neighbor got 400k with one transmission, I am officially impressed. Ram member hemi395 found these vids, much watch for rfe owners, not to scare you or represent any brand, just for info purposes.

rfe valve body

rfe weaknesses

A relative went through 3 rfe's in his cummins before he went ram cummins manual. Mind you, he towed heavy, as in as heavy as you can go, and had a much earlier rfe, but something to consider. If you do a valve body upgrade, you need to decide plate or gasket, for a plate to make sense you need a tuner to tune up psi. With 400k miles, I might ride with what I got, educate myself, if the rfe fails, do all the upgrades in those video's. Research tdr, everything cummins over there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Would not hurt to pay a mechanic to do a compression test.

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry guys. I haven't gotten any emails telling me I had replies.

I have an appointment to have the ppi done. Told the mechanic to give the truck one hell of an enema. Lol.

With that said, he agreed that the transmission was an area of concern and would pay special attention to it. I also asked them to check the rear gears.

I'm hoping the truck does well. 400k is a risk. But I'm really impressed with my buddies ram and he loves his truck. So I'm hoping this truck has proved itself for the last 400k and I can get another 100k with only normal issues to deal with.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome!!!

FullBlownHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropping the pan and replacing rod and main bearings, piston cooling nozzles and inspecting cylinder walls as you turn the engine over can get you to another 3-4 hundred thousand by saving the crankshaft from a bearing failure and also give you a general idea of engine condition when done by a knowledgeable Cummins Mechanic. Good Luck. The Trans mission Overdrive clutch pack is usually about done at 4 hundred thousand miles.

OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you!! I have no problems putting some money into it to help it last. So definitely taking notes.

FullBlownHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropping the pan and replacing rod and main bearings, piston cooling nozzles and inspecting cylinder walls as you turn the engine over can get you to another 3-4 hundred thousand by saving the crankshaft from a bearing failure and also give you a general idea of engine condition when done by a knowledgeable Cummins Mechanic. Good Luck. The Trans mission Overdrive clutch pack is usually about done at 4 hundred thousand miles. I would remove all emission and def cause they burn cleaner and run better and longer without running the exhaust through the engine a second time!

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a plate that holds the solenoids in the trans. It is a well known weak point. Wiped out my 2015 trans. Aftermarket upgraded plate is available for about $50 and is an easy install. I found out too late. This $50 part failure wound up costing me $6,200 for a new trans. Easy to do when you drop the pan to change trans fluid and filter.

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Sorry 400,000 miles,
Everything is worn out,door, dash
Axle, the Frame and body as
Metal Faktisch.

So few hundred dollars be max value,

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Welcome to the RAM forum! 400,000 miles is a lot. Does the seller have repair papers for you to look and what's been done. This is a risky truck, and having a person that knows diesels check it out before you buy is a must. Repairing diesels is expensive, so even at best you need to be prepared to spend money for sure and certain this truck will have things go down. What life is left in this engine is only a guess. A lot has to do with how careful the owner took care of this truck.

For me personally that would be too much mileage on the truck. I think you are headed for lost of repairs with distance between each. It might drain your wallet pretty quickly. Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. As stated earlier, definitely having the truck inspected. Scheduled for next Friday. Services done at Dodge dealer. So I'll inspect those during inspection.

What is this trans plate that was recently mentioned?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Trust the mechanic, if anything found that is major just walk away. FWIW, this is a trusted neighbor and business between you two could cause the relationship to sour. With such high mileage on all the mechanics, bound to be money invested in repairs. Can you handle it if something breaks and mechanic tells you that the last owner had some involvement that led to the part failure? Good luck whatever you decide.