Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I really am quite confused on exactly how to operate the vehicle correctly according to manufacturer suggestions.

Then focus on the only on the manufacturers guidance.

Some examples:
The Diesel Supplement tells you to warm up before applying a load. You have no load to apply, so no action required. No need to ever think of it again. Step 6 of the STARTING PROCEDURE — ENGINE MANIFOLD AIR TEMPERATURE 0°F TO 66°F (–18°C TO 19°C) is DRIVE. Not warm up, not override idle DRIVE.

The manual tells you to idle for less than a minute empty with a cool turbo. It also lets you know Towing/hauling max weights in the mountains is the only time to anticipate a hot turbo, which you will not do, so no need to ever think of it again. Let it run for a few seconds to a minute and you will be following manufacturers guidance.

OP
OP
2022 Tradesman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Some examples:
The Diesel Supplement tells you to warm up before applying a load. You have no load to apply, so no action required. No need to ever think of it again. Step 6 of the STARTING PROCEDURE — ENGINE MANIFOLD AIR TEMPERATURE 0°F TO 66°F (–18°C TO 19°C) is DRIVE. Not warm up, not override idle DRIVE.

The manual tells you to idle for less than a minute empty with a cool turbo. It also lets you know Towing/hauling max weights in the mountains is the only time to anticipate a hot turbo, which you will not do, so no need to ever think of it again. Let it run for a few seconds to a minute and you will be following manufacturers guidance.
I'm getting the hang of it. I've been getting lots of advice, so it can get overwhelming. I simply just want to operate the vehicle properly. Thank you for the advice. Good to know as much as possible about this new vehicle.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I use my block heater often. Of course, not during our summers, but regularly during the cooler seasons (when overnight lows are below 50f). I don't plug it in overnight, but only for an hour or two before start up. I believe the engine very much likes these warmer start ups.

Above 0F the 750watts of heat the block heater puts out over a few hours does not help combustion or oil flow. It only takes seconds for your running 276,000watt engine to produce the equivalent heat, and your 15w-40 oil viscosity should not be a concern until -4F.

RAM recommends a block heater and moving to 5w-40 oil below 0°F (-18°C), which keeps oil viscosity from being a concern until -40F (at which point all fluids are a concern).

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Incorrect. Emergency responders can set vehicles not to go into limp mode due to clogged DPF or DEF running out. The consumer faq from the link you used has the details.

The DFR provides relief to emergency vehicles by allowing engine manufacturers to prevent the engine from loss of vehicle speed, engine power (torque) due to abnormal conditions of the emission control system or by preventing those abnormal conditions from occurring during emergency response. Examples include:
Excessive exhaust backpressure from an overloaded Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
Engines with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) running out of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)
I guess I wasn't clear, but the link explained it. Without the emissions equipment diesels can idle for as long as you like. Emergency vehicles will keep running normal if they fail if they are programmed as such,but not any other modern diesels with dpf or def. Dpf is the bigger issue as it clogs with high idle time. Def shouldn't run out if you watch the level as most emergency services would, but unlike most if the pump fails or a nozzle clogs or the tank heater fails while the def is frozen they can still run normally while modern diesels without the emergency vehicle programming cannot.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I have driven numerous other Diesel powered vehicle over the years... mostly fire, rescue, and EMS apparatus. Quite often, when we are paged for a call, the truck/ambulance does not sit for long before heading out. It then remains running for most or all of the call (possibly several hours). No problems (not even issues) have been experienced with any of these engines.

Firetrucks have a surprisingly high engine failure rate when initially deploying to calls. I used to joke Firetruck is french for broken turbo.

While most equipment spends a lot of time running while deployed, PTOs and HD alternators put the engines under some load which helps longevity immensely. Fleet maintenance policy also has a huge impact on reliability and longevity.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I guess I wasn't clear, but the link explained it. Without the emissions equipment diesels can idle for as long as you like.

The bulletin does not make a link between idling and DPF/DEF issues, nor does the bulletin discuss idling and any impacts or repercussions it may present.

To further complicate matters emergency vehicles are often not idling, they have loads applied keeping the RPM up.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I guess I shall be the total anomaly in this thread.
I have owned 2 CTD 6.7L and not paid much attention to the owners manuals and or the extremely inexpensive advice from this Forum!
When the appropriate glow plug warm allows my engine to start, then it idles for maybe 2 seconds and away I go. When I park it, I shut it down.
As to highway load and cool down I normally have driven 2-5 miles looking for my campsite so I figure I have cooled off enough.
As to DEF and related issues . . . .I have none. My service advisors have "always" told me to drive in the "Tow/Haul" mode if I get DEF/DPF warnings . . . .I "always" drive with the "Tow/Haul" engaged any time I have a trailer hooked up. With an excess of 110K Cummins miles and at least 60K loaded/hitch miles I have had zero DEF/DPF maintenance reminder lights and have always allowed my DEF to "need" filling before adding any fluid. I always carry 5 gallons of Peak with me (Costco $11.99 2.5 gallons). . . .Never leave home without it!
Other than legitimate service bulletins and appropriate service . . . .my truck(s) have never needed work!

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 18, for the most part, I left the exhaust brake on, whether I was towing or not. Four years and never put brakes on it. Pads still looked like new. I was told (true or not?) that using the exhaust brake prevented sooting up. Never had a DEF or other emissions problem either.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You just bought the truck sight unseen and you didn't know it was a diesel?
ohno-smh.gif

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I guess I shall be the total anomaly in this thread.
I have owned 2 CTD 6.7L and not paid much attention to the owners manuals and or the extremely inexpensive advice from this Forum!
When the appropriate glow plug warm allows my engine to start, then it idles for maybe 2 seconds and away I go. When I park it, I shut it down.
As to highway load and cool down I normally have driven 2-5 miles looking for my campsite so I figure I have cooled off enough.
As to DEF and related issues . . . .I have none. My service advisors have "always" told me to drive in the "Tow/Haul" mode if I get DEF/DPF warnings . . . .I "always" drive with the "Tow/Haul" engaged any time I have a trailer hooked up. With an excess of 110K Cummins miles and at least 60K loaded/hitch miles I have had zero DEF/DPF maintenance reminder lights and have always allowed my DEF to "need" filling before adding any fluid. I always carry 5 gallons of Peak with me (Costco $11.99 2.5 gallons). . . .Never leave home without it!
Other than legitimate service bulletins and appropriate service . . . .my truck(s) have never needed work!
I also have had ZERO problems with my truck after almost 30k miles since I bought it used with 33K miles on it.
Tows the TT like a dream. Use the T/H mode and exhaust brake whenever towing.
Normal maintenance, zero fuel or oil additives, no special treatment.
Most people don't come here to tell us how good these truck really are, they only want to come here and make what few problems may pop up be blown way out of proportion.

OP
OP
2022 Tradesman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I suppose that downshifting while driving up a hill may not hurt the transmission at all. After all, why would there even be a "gear limit" toggle switch if using it could damage anything?

Your mileage is still below 1,000, right? After you reach 1,000 miles, put 2,000 - 3,000 pounds of something in the bed for awhile, and take it through those hills. From what I read in the Users Guide, this is called "running the engine in." Putting it under expected loads as part of the break in period. This increases cylinder temps to seat the piston rings. I did the same on my '19 3500 Cummins Duely, except it was 7,000 pounds (2 pallets) of bricks!!
I'm just over 1200 miles or so now. I'm thinking of buying 32 gallon trash cans to load with sand. Each can could hold 400lbs. Best idea I came up with so far... but still not enough weight unless I use 5 cans! I don't want to take up too much bed space either if I'm not removing the weight anytime soon.

OP
OP
2022 Tradesman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the advice.

Some examples:

OP
OP
2022 Tradesman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just curious, she's a workhorse but not much get up and go. I've seen videos on diesels that seem to have power and acceleration. Mine just putts along. Giant difference between my hemi and the diesel. The hemi gets it! I'm not over thinking about the truck lately due to all the advice and feedback I've received from everyone. It is what it is, plus it's under warranty for atleast 5 years or more. Apparently the 2500 is about the power, not speed. This truck is designed for hauling, not hauling ass.