1st Travel Trailer for my Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sidh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 3500 SLT
Engine
5.9 L Cummins
So you're an engineer?

nascar72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a 66RFE trans with known undersize clutches and overdrive drum. RFE's need pampering to live.
Exactly what I was going to say! I have an '08 2500 with the 5.7 hemi and the 5-45RFE tranny and when towing my close to 8,000 lbs 5ft wheel rv, I tried using tow/haul mode wich will cancel 5ft gear but 4th gear still remains an overdrive gear. And even on flat highway sections it will take forever to shift into 4th and when it finally does, as soon as there's a slight hill, wind change or whatsoever it goes back into 3rd. So from now on I just simply switch off the overdrives and lock it in 3rd wich results in practically no useless downshifts on slight inclines. The onlynthing happening will be the torque converter's lockup clutch cycling on and off if ever I need more power going on inclines.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only read OP post and the first reply to which is 100% correct!! I towed TT 's for several yrs with a 1/2 ton Ram, 5.7. The last being a 33 ft Keystone 2 slide, approx 7500 lbs. Load leveler hitch, properly set up, (trailer basically level) it towed, hauled and stopped like a dream. With your 2500 you will be great! The load level hitch will be good as long as you have the proper drop in the hitch to make the trailer basically level.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Only read OP post and the first reply to which is 100% correct!! I towed TT 's for several yrs with a 1/2 ton Ram, 5.7. The last being a 33 ft Keystone 2 slide, approx 7500 lbs. Load leveler hitch, properly set up, (trailer basically level) it towed, hauled and stopped like a dream. With your 2500 you will be great! The load level hitch will be good as long as you have the proper drop in the hitch to make the trailer basically level.

I had the trailer dealer install the load leveler rather than fighting with it myself, since they do this routinely.

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looked @ used, they were all too long for downsizing needs. Ended up going new, this is a Rockwood 2104S, Forest River.

Forest River has a crap name for quality, but reviews of the Rockwood sub-brand is much better. Apparently Forest River bought the brand and mostly left them alone - unusual in corporate consolidations these days.

Quality of build is much better than the Gulfstream Motorhome we had.

Airstream was out-of-this-world pricing for outdated designs. Winnebago couldn't find any around here. This brand and model stood out above all the rest we saw and entered.
Rockwood/Flagstaff are hard to beat for the money. I've owned Gulfstream Amerilite, Keystone Passport, Prime Time Lacrosse, and now the Flagstaff Classic. Rockwood/Flagstaff are definitely the best made I have come across so far. Enjoy it!

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After 27 years of motorhomes, we downsized to a 7,000 pound GTWR Travel Trailer.

I bought my Ram 2500 in 2018 for hauling my contractor utility trailer of the same weight class, so this fits right in.
Tows well with load stabilizer bars, I run the 6.4 Hemi in tow program, limited to 4th gear (no overdrive 5th and 6th gears).
Gets 9-10 mpg on 89 octane and 10% ethanol. My last motorhome with GM 8.1L big block got 7-8 mpg on 87 octane 10% ethanol.

Trans oil remained cool ~ 145 F with thermostat removed and Red Line C+ATF. Engine oil went up from 220 F to 228 F no doubt due to higher rpm with load. Still very reasonable. Red Line 5W-30 engine oil.
View attachment 528560
Your weight of trailer you should be ok but yes this transmission is a weak spot. But I have a land scape trailer when fully loaded is near this weight with a5.7 1500 with no problems it’s a 8 speed. They should have put the one ton transmission in 3/4 truck

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Rockwood/Flagstaff are hard to beat for the money. I've owned Gulfstream Amerilite, Keystone Passport, Prime Time Lacrosse, and now the Flagstaff Classic. Rockwood/Flagstaff are definitely the best made I have come across so far. Enjoy it!

That was also my impression when we looked through a number of other brands. We also looked at Grand Design Imagine Series Trailers, also very nice, just not as well laid out as Rockwood in our opinion.

Airstream is just - retro-funky and overpriced, IMHO.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Airstream is VERY much overpriced. You're just paying for the "prestige" of owning an airstream.
We had one for years and they have not changed much since them. They still have very little storage room and the still have the same skinny aisle between the kitchen counter and whatever is across from it.
I would never own another one.