2,000mi...Smash and Grab..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Still a brand new truck 2,000 miles. Go to Richmond, VA for some fun. Come out to my truck window smashed and a truck next to me as well.

Got dash cam footage. Absolute retard crooks I won’t even get in to all their stupidity.

Guess we’ll see how insurance plays. I had a tinted window and there’s scratches inside and outside the vehicle but honestly if insurance is gonna make my rate go up guess I’ll buy new window and tint out of pocket and buff the scratches myself maybe? Good to know insurance proves to be worthless YET AGAIN when it’s needed...at least that’s what I feel if my rates go up. We’ll see tomorrow...

Moral of the story: stop trying to enjoy life and have fun [emoji25]

Yeah ****** for sure. That's messed. Waste of skin thieves.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Adjuster came and did his thing... estimated total of damages around $2,000!!!!! Most everything is just going to be repaired, besides the tint I'll take back to the original guy, replacing the whole right running board, and for some reason the "Nameplate "RAM 1500" black" is being replaced as well. Adjuster was great all while I never met him, so super thankful for him being amazing.

Then there was my 12-5 Safelite appointment today... Actually got home early for it..call them to see where he's at because the appointment was for TODAY...she tells me it's tomorrow..I says no I have the emails and confirmations it was for TODAY.. she contacts the manager (who I'm neighbors with), "They didn't receive the OEM glass shipment last night because all the snow, he'll come tomorrow". Why is it SO HARD to communicate these things!? Coulda just told me I'd have been cool with it!! I won't be mad because they're making sure to get OEM glass. Ughhh. Well, at least it'll be factory.

So hopefully tomorrow they bang that out and then I'll be dropping it off for an estimated 8 days according to the adjusters paperwork to get everything straight..and still gotta get it tinted again..and then she'll be as good as new...I hope...

Overall will end up being half a month out of use because of some idiots who accomplished NOTHING but ******* me off. In the end I guess thank God for insurance for once? And then there's the investigators who still haven't contacted me or the cop I emailed.

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
FWIW, I had the Palmer Alaska based Safelite replace a windshield in my Ram 2500 and they were very polite and professional, used top notch tools and it was very OEM looking when finished. Conversely, I had "Gator Glass" (mistake #1) do a windshield in my Titan and there was gobs of dried black RTV squished up around the windshield, and while taking out the old one with a razor blade, they sliced the plastic pieces on both front pillars. I complained and after denying accountability, they begrudgingly said they would fix it. I asked them to call me when the parts came in (mistake #2). Three weeks later I called them back and the front desk girl says, "Oh! that's what those parts are for..., they've been sitting here for two weeks." Ughhhh.

I wish you luck that you don't have a Gator Glass experience...

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
That freaking sucks man, sorry this happened to you. Little sh!theads, sucks your dashcam didn't catch the license plate number. Looks like if their plate lights were a little brighter you would've got the plate on video. Can almost make it out watching on my phone, any clearer on a laptop or tablet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Investigator finally contacted me this morning! Gonna try and pull local street cams maybe full capture it. I'm sure they can make that video work with the license plate guess a couple combinations see what sticks, we'll see.

Safelite came! Pretty much got home same time he got here which was cool. You guys were right about how easy the door panel was to remove which was cool! He did his thing I tried not to bother him while he was working because I know what that's like. OEM glass which looked to be a perfect fit. Almost sounds like the motor is a little bit off vs how it was before and the other windows, but speed seems the same so I guess I'll just have to suck that up.. When he initially rolled it up though I heard the glass scraping the window... Also seems like the door lock antenna sticks up further on the drivers side vs the passenger side now.... The big issue is when I slam the door though....still hear tons of glass bouncing around and he spent a lot of time vacuuming up so much in the door, but apparently there's still more....

Dropped it off at the auto body shop for all the repairs. Mentioned to them and wrote down to see if they can remove all that excess glass inside the door...guess we'll see if they do or not..worst case scenario I guess I'll just have to take it all apart and remove the pieces myself..

So I guess it'll be a waiting game now and see how good this shop is if they truly fix everything... Then take it back to tint guy on my own. The exterior coating I had will have to wait 3 months to be reapplied because don't want to use any waxes on the door that'll be getting completely repainted, which sucks because it's winter time:(

Mambo Dave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still a brand new truck 2,000 miles. Go to Richmond, VA for some fun. Come out to my truck window smashed and a truck next to me as well.

Got dash cam footage. Absolute retard crooks I won’t even get in to all their stupidity.

Guess we’ll see how insurance plays. I had a tinted window and there’s scratches inside and outside the vehicle but honestly if insurance is gonna make my rate go up guess I’ll buy new window and tint out of pocket and buff the scratches myself maybe? Good to know insurance proves to be worthless YET AGAIN when it’s needed...at least that’s what I feel if my rates go up. We’ll see tomorrow...

Moral of the story: stop trying to enjoy life and have fun [emoji25]

Which dash cam are you using? Most reviews of dash cams all have enough people who found them unreliable, so I haven't ordered one yet.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Two words...pit bull.

I have had two experiences where my 75 pound pit was napping and/or contently licking his privates when he was suddenly interrupted by some damn fool attempting to break into my truck. The first one tried to pop the handle on the drivers side and simply scratched up the paint a little before Mr. Teeth-n-Nuts lit up on the inside of the truck.

The second time was when I was coming out of Walmart and this damned fool was in the bed of my truck peeking into the open rear sliding window...at night. It was pitch black and peaceful inside until he smelled nut/butt breath and saw more teeth than he’s had in a lifetime.

I laughed my ass off as he tumbled backwards over the tailgate. I helped him up but seem to recall he slipped at least three or four times on my fist before I picked his dazed ass up off the ground just as our local law enforcement professionals arrived.

And yes, Mr. Teeth-n-Nuts is very gentle and loving around my grandkids, the neighbors and the Mormons going door to door but try to get into HIS Ram and it’s a whole new story!

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Two words...pit bull.

I have had two experiences where my 75 pound pit was napping and/or contently licking his privates when he was suddenly interrupted by some damn fool attempting to break into my truck. The first one tried to pop the handle on the drivers side and simply scratched up the paint a little before Mr. Teeth-n-Nuts lit up on the inside of the truck.

The second time was when I was coming out of Walmart and this damned fool was in the bed of my truck peeking into the open rear sliding window...at night. It was pitch black and peaceful inside until he smelled nut/butt breath and saw more teeth than he’s had in a lifetime.

I laughed my ass off as he tumbled backwards over the tailgate. I helped him up but seem to recall he slipped at least three or four times on my fist before I picked his dazed ass up off the ground just as our local law enforcement professionals arrived.

And yes, Mr. Teeth-n-Nuts is very gentle and loving around my grandkids, the neighbors and the Mormons going door to door but try to get into HIS Ram and it’s a whole new story!

Lol wish I could've seen that. My pit was the best dog i ever had

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
why didn't the passive alarm go off...

There’s a certain way to do it it doesn’t trigger alarms!!! Car makers should be held accountable for this honestly.

Just got my new security system installed. Tomorrow I’ll be messing with it because so far the EZ-GO hasn’t worked since I left installer. But all in all in love with it so far.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s a certain way to do it it doesn’t trigger alarms!!! Car makers should be held accountable for this honestly.

Just got my new security system installed. Tomorrow I’ll be messing with it because so far the EZ-GO hasn’t worked since I left installer. But all in all in love with it so far.
Sorry bout your truck man, thats just horrible.
Tell us the details about your new security system... i`d like to know more about that, if you dont mind.

My "smash-n-grab" was a little bit different than yours... but a few years ago, i got REAL lucky, i caught my two thieves in the act.
Both of their faces ran into my fist, i think at least 20 times each... could a been more than that, they both looked pretty rough when my fist`s was done with them.
I did have a talk with my fist`s later though... i was happy, but my fist`s wern`t, their faces were pretty hard. But, regardless, those two punks got their asses beat.
The only thing the cops said, was to the two punks, he told them that they were lucky that i didnt beat them more than i did. Cops turned to me and said, GOOD JOB!

In the end, we can only hope that everything turns out good for you and your truck. Hopefully you`ll never go thru this again NY Andrew.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Few years back we lived in a nice neighborhood (still do) and some nice young fellows got into my wife's Mountaineer. I HEARD the window break while I was sleeping but thought it was the giant icicles smashing on the driveway from the roof edge. They did that. Didn't hear anything else, so went back to sleep.
I am actually glad I didn't investigate because I might have shot someone or got myself shot up.
I don't particularly wish to use lethal force if my/our lives are not in danger. (Except maybe for fun.)
Anyway they must have run off with my knucklehead wife's purse, went through it carefully, then put it back! We thought nothing was missing till later when one of her credit cards was gone.
So they had this young fellow on multiple gas station camera's using the card to get cash money from his buddies behind the counter. Open and shut case, and surely the perps behind MANY similar break in's.
No arrests were ever made. Nothing.
She still leaved her purse in the car at times. But always in the garage with motion detectors running.
Sorry about your new truck mister. We never got all the glass out of that mountaineer.