2.5 lift, now CV joint throwing grease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
New 2021 RAM 3500 with less than 2k miles with approximately <100 miles in 4wd. We just took the truck on a 700 mile loop through Nevada with our FWC camper.

The only mods from stock are 35" tires and a 2.5" leveling kit.

I did an inspection today, and found the CV joint from the front drive shaft has been spewing grease all over the place. Do I have a failure going on here? What should I expect from the dealer?

20211002_162043.jpg

2021-10-02 15.39.00.jpg

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Just at first glance it definitely looks like a boot or seal failure. No noise coming from the front end that you can tell? The joint itself is probably fine. I would take it in but be prepared for them to blame the leveling kit for it...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Take it in a get it fixed. If they try to blame the leveling kit, ask them why Dodge dealers install them all the time if it creates these problems. The issue is NOT the leveling kit, you have a bad boot or joint. Get it repaired before something worse happens.

OP
OP
lighthawk

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
Thanks for the feedback
Just at first glance it definitely looks like a boot or seal failure. No noise coming from the front end that you can tell? The joint itself is probably fine. I would take it in but be prepared for them to blame the leveling kit for it...
I heard a few squawks from the front end when we were driving irregular potholed trails on our first day. It seemed to quiet down the next two days, which included some rough driving. I attributed it to "things getting settled".

Take it in a get it fixed. If they try to blame the leveling kit, ask them why Dodge dealers install them all the time if it creates these problems. The issue is NOT the leveling kit, you have a bad boot or joint. Get it repaired before something worse happens.
Good point about RAM installing their own lift kits.

I'll contact my dealer on Monday and get a service appointment.
I'll report back what they say.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
New 2021 RAM 3500 with less than 2k miles with approximately <100 miles in 4wd. We just took the truck on a 700 mile loop through Nevada with our FWC camper.

The only mods from stock are 35" tires and a 2.5" leveling kit.

I did an inspection today, and found the CV joint from the front drive shaft has been spewing grease all over the place. Do I have a failure going on here? What should I expect from the dealer?

View attachment 472661

View attachment 472664
What 2 1/2” kit did you use and did you install a new track bar and get the alignment done after the install?

OP
OP
lighthawk

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
What 2 1/2” kit did you use and did you install a new track bar and get the alignment done after the install?
It was a Rough Country 2.5" lift. I wasn't sure about it, because it was composite (not disclosed on their website) and yes, my mechanic did a full alignment afterwards. I did not install a new track bar.

I'm trying to understand the geometry here. If the body is lifted, does that change the relationship between the transfer case and the front axle?

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
It was a Rough Country 2.5" lift. I wasn't sure about it, because it was composite (not disclosed on their website) and yes, my mechanic did a full alignment afterwards.

I'm trying to understand the geometry here. If the body is lifted, does that change the relationship between the transfer case and the front axle?
Yes and anything 2.5 and above need a new track bar. It’s a brand new truck I would highly recommend getting the rough country stuff off. Icon makes a really nice leveling spring for the front @Nick@GotExhaust can set you up with the icon coil springs and a new track bar. Otherwise it’s going to get really expensive down the road. You lucked out noticing it when you did

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree get that RC kit off there. They are cheap for a reason, they are low quality and do not lift the truck reliably. The ICON kit mentioned above is a great quality kit and lifts the truck correctly while providing a smoother ride. The track bar is a must at 2.5" of lift. The ICON springs and trackbar will accomplish the lift you want while not damaging other parts of your vehicle like some other methods can/will. Message me for a quote on anything.

214200_web_large.jpg
214214_web_large.jpg

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The blocks you see in the kit above is for the rear sway bar endlinks because when you lift the front angles everywhere change. Rough country is quick to push products out because it looked good on a computer screen never made it onto a truck in an r&d setting

OP
OP
lighthawk

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
I just want to close out this thread and report back.

The dealer replaced the front drive shaft under warranty. Truck only has 2500 miles on it. The service guy made some reference to the possibility the boot may have been punctured. With the skid plate right there it seems like that's a fairly remote possibility.

In any case, I'm ready to go for some Eastern Sierra trips this month, and several weeks in Death Valley next month.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Glad that worked out well and from the sounds of it no guff from the dealer.