2.75-3" front 2.5 coilover options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks for the info! I'm very much in the same boat as you. I've tried to do every modification as budget friendly as possible while still being practical. Would I love to drop 3k on a new suspension? heck yeah! It's all very subjective anyway. What works for one guy might be trash for the next. If I recall correctly @hodge-xj had 6112's and switched to Icons.

I'm a bit late so I apologize. Lots of good input here, but I'll add my seat of the pants feels.

6112s are legit for the money. Bilsteins are just durable and built like tanks. That was my draw to them, longevity and reliability. Yea the ability to adjust my coilovers on a whim is cool, but being realistic it's not a deal breaker since realistically once you've acquired your desire height you're likely to leave them be. The 6112s are a tiny bit inconvenient to change height on, but it's maybe an extra hour of work vs a threaded body CO. The only reason i changed was I didn't get anywhere near advertised height out of them on my truck. They currently live on my buddies 1500 ecodiesel and gained him more than advertised, so it's a crap shoot in terms of final gain over stock. For me i was blowing through the coils easily and beating the snot out of my front end. Not the fault of the 6112, just the wrong application under my heavy truck.

The only time I really notice a difference in the 6112s vs my icons is when I really am beating the truck up and even than it's really only a small perceived feeling that's likely just a difference in valving and nothing more. Than again, it's been so long since I ran the 6112s I could be embellishing a little. At the time there were no options for heavier coils on the 6112s for me so I needed to go a different route, had I been able to source new coils i wouldn't have felt the need to change. Still not sure why my truck seems to be so front heavy compared to my buddies truck which is "identical" but for whatever reason it is.

If you're running hard like ram1500rsm, yes the step to 2.5" true coilovers is a must. But if you're running a bit more mild, washboard stuff....dare I say overlandy things and lower speed stuff, the 6112s are a home run for the price. Just don't get greedy on lift height and keep them around 2.5" of lift and you'll be very happy with all around performance.

I love them both, so buy the best you can afford and enjoy the upgrade vs 5100s.