2 post lift - symmetric vs asymmetric

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Building a shop and going to install a 2 post lift. I’ve a couple smaller vehicles, but also a Ram Power Wagon, if it ever shows up from the factory. From what I read, the symmetric lift is better for larger vehicles like the Ram truck, but the asymmetric is better for small. What are you guys using when you have a mix of different sized vehicles in your stable?

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get a symmetrical personally. I am same situation as you, and I got the bend pack XPR10S symmetrical 2 post and I was a little weary at first but I'm glad I didnt go AS. It definitely is a little inconvenient when lifting a smaller car, but not to bad. I've put my 86 camaro on multiple times along with my 73 nova, my ram, wifes 4runner, even a lowered Mazda RX8. But the majority of the time it is used for the truck or suv so it works out better for me. The big inconvenience is doing a shorter wheel base vehicle you have to pull it far forward first, swing the front arms under and then back it up to where you want it, 9therwise the front arms will hit the wheels and not be able to get behind em.
I will add though that with my truck the door will not open to the first notch of the hinge so if you are a real husky fella that would be something to consider. Mine came with nice rubber pads all along the posts there so your door cant hit metal but still could be a real issue depending on how big you are. I'll post a pic of mine with a few different vehicles on it so you can get a feel.
And idk how much you are trying to spend but if you're looking for a real nice lift that's not like top tier commercial use then I absolutely love my bendpak and has been flawless. But it's not like it's being used 100+ times a week either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This picture of the camaro it is parked slightly further over to the pass side so if totally centered it would be about 5ish" closer. Well, I guess these pictures really dont show much at all lol sorry7d2976c46ec1437253ad70c0e382c6a0.jpg2a3146ee3919eb34820704cf79ca7345.jpga3b331a21495c4b68dc35a4e93e7509a.jpg

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whichever way you go definitely get 6" adapters at least otherwise you will not be able to lift anything with nerf bars or even running boards that hang a little low. I couldnt lift the truck or runner with my adjustable pads maxed out on top of 4" adapters lol with the 6" adapters though I can use the pads at lowest setting and it clears [emoji1689]

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After using hoists day in and day out for a number of years I would personally buy an asymmetric one.JMHO

OP
OP
Pudge

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks guys, helpful info @ramportin1. I couldn’t find much on this forum, but found a few conversations on a few other forums. Still undecided, but I’ve got some time.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For sure man! If youd like a certain picture or angle its here in my shop every day lol but you already doing it right IMO, research, ask around, more research, pull the trigger and dont look back haha

carverwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
18 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks guys, helpful info @ramportin1. I couldn’t find much on this forum, but found a few conversations on a few other forums. Still undecided, but I’ve got some time.

I would also add , if it's not to late , to make sure you pour a thick enough concrete slab as well. Check all the requirements for the hoist you decide on . :cheers:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good advice [emoji1318]
On that note I will also add to swap the mounting hardware for the posts out with epoxy and threaded rods. It's not necessary of course, just added security and peace of mind. I am a DIY'r on almost everything but for this I hired a pro haha actually learned about that from those guys. They asked me if I wanted to use the supplied mounting hardware or swap and told me about the hardware fails they've seen over the years [emoji15]. It would be my luck I'd be the 1 in 1,000,000 that had complete failure and killed myself [emoji23].
Anyway, good luck! Update this whenever you pull the trigger I'd like to see what lift you get [emoji1689][emoji482]

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Go symmetrical for the extra weight capacity of the power wagon. Some are wider than others. Rotary makes a really nice lift and the longer pads are standard on most of them 10" and 5"

Last edited:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BWL just reminded me of another piece of advice that the lift guys told me about. When looking at lifts look into if that lift is ALI certified, if it is it will come with there "certification" and sticker to put on the post like mine here. He was telling me that a lot of the brands that are kinda more for home use and not super spendy commercial ones do not and reason being because they cant pass the tests. To get that certification the lift has to pass a overload test and I forgot the exact numbers he said but something like mine is rated at 10,000lb max capacity but that means to get the cert. It had to be able to lift and hold something like 12,500lbs and fully lift and lower and lock and function properly. Then they do a drop test with the same load, like literally drop that weight on the arms as they are raised and the lift can not fail, then same drop test on the locks. Have to pass those tests to get that cert.
Learned quite a bit from those guys actually haha.4e19dd4ff37f60a999c6cce1ec6975d8.jpg

Reactions: BWL