20-21 Eco Diesel Reliability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The Android Auto System has been problematic for us in two Subarus and one GMC Canyon. IMHO, it's the phone software, not the motor vehicle. I like Google but the Android/car interface is a wicked major loser.

As someone who grew up with simple motor vehicles, I just want the damn thing to start and get me where I am going without drama. The point of trucks is to haul stuff around. If I want entertainment I go outside and watch the weeds in my lawn grow.

There is no way I would spend 28 hours of my precious time on earth f%@#%$ around with a lame interface between phone and truck. But that's me.
I wish I had your resolve to ignore the interface. However, I easily spend more than 28 hours in the truck on some weeks and I NEED an interface that syncs and works like it does in all other vehicles.

As for it being and Android or phone software issue ... I see it differently. All three Android phones in my house and use connect without issue to the Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, (2011 through 2020) and a 2006 third party Panasonic system in an antique and a 2012 Honda. (although the BMW is a little wonky, at least it runs Podcasts, WAZE and phone together at same time.)
I'm further endorsed by multiple Android Forums having entire sections devoted to how awful Android Auto is with the newest Android phones with the real phone tech geeks explaining that Android Auto programming is for S*** with some of the coding Apple/iPhone conversion which is and has always been problematic. It should just be coded for Android OR Apple.
Google "Samsung S22 Ultra, Android Auto" ... the complaints are endless.

The problem isn't just the newest phones, it's also with a 5 year old Android phone. In some cases, the phone's ability to communicate in anyway shape or form while connected to AA isn't just frustrating, it's downright safety hazard ! ! One day someone's not going to be able to use their phone with that system and the result will be tragic.

I love this truck ... but I'm close to paying someone hack the whole AA and UConnect system and reprogram it. They're hacking phones and rooting them to do what the user wants for years ... it might be the only way I'll get the system to work for me.

My rant is over ... hope you don't feel this is an attack or abrasive to your post. I'm elbows deep in this and there is zero response from AA or UConnect. Thanks for letting me rant.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I have 32,000 miles on my 2021. We've been going cross country since March 1. About 20,000 of these miles are towing miles. Had a hick-up as we were driving across Nevada and California. The check engine light came on, a message to have electronic throttle control serviced appeared on the dash and then while towing the message "particulate filter regeneration underway, continue to drive normally" appeared every few minutes. MPG was down, but I thought that might be caused by heavy winds. When I stopped for a break I turned the car off for a few minutes. When I started it back up, only the check engine light was on. I got an appointment at Yucca Valley Dodge/Ram, who diagnosed a failed outside air temperature sensor. He also did some sort of TSB/recall regarding the particulate filter regeneration system. After the warranty repair, we were on our way. Towing MPG over the next 500 miles was marginally better than normal 12 mpg. We got 13.5 MPG during the next leg of our trip... in heavy cross winds and mountains.

Yeah, I like this truck.
Now have 29000 miles and going strong pulling our travel trailer thru south west.

Cmeant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Just seeking some feedback on the Gen 3 Eco reliability so far. Any warranty issues? Problems? Thanks!
This thread has been helpful for me too.

Had an 18’. Loved it till it blew up in August of 20. Traded in on the spot on a 20 Sport Hemi. That’s been good except towing our Tt. Today, traded on a new 22 Rebel ecodiesel with 3.92. Pick up later this week. Look forward to towing again!

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I wish I had your resolve to ignore the interface. However, I easily spend more than 28 hours in the truck on some weeks and I NEED an interface that syncs and works like it does in all other vehicles.

As for it being and Android or phone software issue ... I see it differently. All three Android phones in my house and use connect without issue to the Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, (2011 through 2020) and a 2006 third party Panasonic system in an antique and a 2012 Honda. (although the BMW is a little wonky, at least it runs Podcasts, WAZE and phone together at same time.)
I'm further endorsed by multiple Android Forums having entire sections devoted to how awful Android Auto is with the newest Android phones with the real phone tech geeks explaining that Android Auto programming is for S*** with some of the coding Apple/iPhone conversion which is and has always been problematic. It should just be coded for Android OR Apple.

The problem isn't just the newest phones, it's also with a 5 year old Android phone. In some cases, the phone's ability to communicate in anyway shape or form while connected to AA isn't just frustrating, it's downright safety hazard ! ! One day someone's not going to be able to use their phone with that system and the result will be tragic.

I love this truck ... but I'm close to paying someone hack the whole AA and UConnect system and reprogram it. They're hacking phones and rooting them to do what the user wants for years ... it might be the only way I'll get the system to work for me.

My rant is over ... hope you don't feel this is an attack or abrasive to your post. I'm elbows deep in this and there is zero response from AA or UConnect. Thanks for letting me rant.
I hear you brother.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0

No, it is Android Auto. There has been much discussion on how it was developed and how difficult it is to integrate with actual autos. And there's been lots of complaints about European car phone interfaces. See BMW esp. Its a running joke among some VW and Audi owning friends too, how bad they are. After renting an Audi in Europe, I understand bad user interface. I am considering an Apple for my next phone because of this, but otherwise i live in a Chrome/Google world and its hard to shift.

But this is a systems integration problem. I worked on costing out complex systems integration projects in the government all my career: making complex IT devices made by multiple vendors work well with each other has been a problem since the dawn of multi vendor integration. It's why IBM prospered for so long. Nobody every even tried to make their stuff work with others. Cars are complex now... and getting them to work with two different phone operating systems? Well that's not a piece of cake either.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
My son has 15k miles on his 2022 zero issues. 2k miles since the GDE engine & transmission tunes. Stronger and a mileage bump after upgrading the tune.

Paladin308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Less than 6 months old.

11K on the clock already and not a mechanical complaint at all!
At 90 to 95 MPH for 3 hours through Nebraska I Average 26 MPG. I couldn't get that in my Ridgeline or Subaru ! !

At 55 MPH with feather-touch foot work I can get 33 to 36 MPG.

I've not driven around town long enough to get a real MPG number, but it's not much better than any gas engine full size pickup I've ever had.

As for DEF fluid; highway driving seems to use significantly less DEF than around town or extended stop-and-go traffic in NYC or Chicagoland.

My only complaint is the Android Auto System ... it's absolutely thee most awful system to link the phone to the truck and vice-versa. I've spent over 28 hours trying to dial it in ... it's pure invasive garbage that no one at the Dealership, Ram Services, Android Auto or Android Websites\Forums can make work correctly and\or merge with consistency.

I keep trying though ... figured out that minimizing the interaction between the two for just two uses works best for me.
(... your phone type and Apps used my bring different results, but I doubt you'll be altogether happy either )
Following

TylerKotar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Deisel
I'm curious how this will go too, coming from the 2nd gen I think I would stay away from the Ram eco diesel until I hear more about if they fixed all the issues. My 2nd gen kind of put me off from ever buying one again from ram.

Pjwilbricht

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 and 2016
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 3.0 EcoDiesel
Just bought my second EcoDiesel. Own a 2016 that my college aged daughter is driving. 83k and runs like a dream. Was affected by the pea recall and after the tune was down at dealer dropped mileage about 2 mpg but usually around 24 is what I got.

Traded a 2022 longhorn etorque Hemi in in a 2022 Laramie EcoDiesel. Had I literally 14 hrs and love it! Only thing I pull is a bass boat which I don’t even know if back there with any truck really. Hemi was string a fun to sport around in but she’s an Aggie and tired of looking at all
That Longhorn badging and burnt emblem into dash logo. Beautiful truck but still prefer the Laramie. And wife said didn’t have any Longhorn crap on it right? Lol
Gas mileage sucked in the Hemi. Fun to drive but sucked down the gas. It was hard to go from 24 Hwy/20 city/17 pulling boat to 20.8 (best ever)/16 city/12-13 pulling boat.

This one has sport hood. Only 2 w/d as really didn’t need or use a 4 wheel.

Got $2500 less than what I paid for it. (For a killer deal on it when I bought it 7 mths ago) So great trade in and made out feeling good. Also 0 percent interest

Can’t wait to get some more miles on it.

Plan to keep this one as long as she’ll run……

R Ling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
2020 Laramie 75k mile mostly highway miles. Engine lights galore. EGR valve went bad then everything downstream of that. 4k$ worth of non warranty repair to engine. and btw the 4wd stopped working and got new transfer case(that was covered under warranty). Still waiting on Ram care to see if they are going to stand behind vehicle.....not very satisfied currenlty.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Now have 68,000 on my 2021. Still waiting for the new high pressure fuel pump to come in, but have had no problems besides the one I described in this post:
I have 32,000 miles on my 2021. We've been going cross country since March 1. About 20,000 of these miles are towing miles. Had a hick-up as we were driving across Nevada and California. The check engine light came on, a message to have electronic throttle control serviced appeared on the dash and then while towing the message "particulate filter regeneration underway, continue to drive normally" appeared every few minutes. MPG was down, but I thought that might be caused by heavy winds. When I stopped for a break I turned the car off for a few minutes. When I started it back up, only the check engine light was on. I got an appointment at Yucca Valley Dodge/Ram, who diagnosed a failed outside air temperature sensor. He also did some sort of TSB/recall regarding the particulate filter regeneration system. After the warranty repair, we were on our way. Towing MPG over the next 500 miles was marginally better than normal 12 mpg. We got 13.5 MPG during the next leg of our trip... in heavy cross winds and mountains.

Yeah, I like this truck.