20" wheel pa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Long Range

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tire /Wheel Package 20" vs 22".

I will hopefully be ordering a new 2021 Laramie or Limited and trying to decide on what wheels to get. Just wondering if ride quality would be lost with the 22's vs the 20's. Anyone have an idea or first hand knowledge . Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Long Range

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting ready to order a 2021 Laramie or Limited 1500 and trying to decide on a wheel and tire package. My concern is whether or not ride quality would with the 22's over the 20's especially Ince the have both a different aspect ratio and profile also. Any ideas on this or first hand knowledge . Thanks

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 20's ride batter than the 18's on my last truck.... no physical reason I can think of, just might be in my head since I really like this truck more than the last one.....

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
smaller sidewall is *generally* known to offer a stiffer ride. Since the overall diameter of either is largely the same then the sidewall must be smaller on 22's. I think it's more of an appearance thing though. Personally I don't like the look of 22's and in fact if Ram had a halfway decent looking 18" I'd have looked for them, plus the tires are cheaper. There is also an element of off-road ability...smaller wheel, bigger sidewall has an advantage there.

Good luck with the new truck!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You won't notice the difference on these trucks. Our Limited came with 22's and we later changed to 20's with no noticeable difference in ride comfort. Theoretically there should be a difference, but unless you're extremely sensitive I doubt you'll notice it.

GreenF8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
22" ride like a dream. My '19 Laramie with them rides nicer than the Cadillac Escalade it replaced. Can't compare to 20s, but you will not be disappointed with the ride comfort and quality with the 22s

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Usually the bigger the wheel means less tire. The less tire, the less comfort. Personally I’d go with 20” instead of 22. You’ll get a far better ride with 20’s.
A lot of guys go from 20’s to 17 or 18 just to get more tire and therefore a softer ride.
Would the 18 s be better for towing my #7000 lb TT

OP
OP
L

Long Range

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting ready to order a 2021 Laramie or Limited 1500 and trying to decide on a wheel and tire package. My concern is whether or not ride quality would with the 22's over the 20's especially Ince the have both a different aspect ratio and profile also. Any ideas on this or first hand knowledge . Thanks
Many thanks to all in answering my tire and wheel package question . Probaly will go with 20's just to save Money when it comes time for replacement.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I like a balanced tire to wheel ratio and 20s in my opinion gives me that balance ... also the high sidewall helps your wheels against curve rash ... I have never liked low profile tires even when I had my dropped Civic and Prelude back in the 90s lol...

Plus you will protect your wheels from road impact especially when you hit that unexpected pothole after a good rain session .....

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Many thanks to all in answering my tire and wheel package question . Probaly will go with 20's just to save Money when it comes time for replacement.
That's really the best argument in my opinion. Ride quality is great no matter which wheel size you go with on 5th gens.

Ramjob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Depending on the tire your going to run on the 20s, if you run a E rated tire on the 20” that have a stiffer Side wall you will not notice any difference between the 20 & 22 because 22” tires have a stiffer side wall to begin with, but if you run a lesser ply tire than an E rated on the 20” it will have a smoother ride. Noticeable, yes a little. I would look at the cost of the two and what your planning to use your truck for. Remember 22” is considered a low profile tire and potholes eat them up! Do yourself a favor and do some homework on this!

Last edited:

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I have a 2021 1500 Limited. Offered to trade dealer for a set of 20's. Ended up buying a set of 20's (takeoff) and took the sucky OEM tires and putting on a set of Michelin LTX. Best move I ever made. Everyone brags about the e-torque, I do not see any difference. If you put a cover on it, you have to get aftermarket brackets. The tailgate option is worth every penny. If you ever have to load it, you do not have to lean over the tailgate.

A Ford cover fits a Ram and visa versa. my 2019 Platinum fit the Ram perfectly. There is less than a half of an inch difference between the two.

There are my thoughts.

1C6SRFHT8MN606498

Explanation and picture of Dodge Window Sticker (researchmaniacs.com)

Last edited:

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure where you are in PA, but if your roads are like mine here in PA, I would stick with 20's...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Would any calibration be required from going from 275/65/r18 to a 275/55/20 tire
That's close enough to not worry about it. Less than 1/4" od difference.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
smaller sidewall is *generally* known to offer a stiffer ride. Since the overall diameter of either is largely the same then the sidewall must be smaller on 22's. I think it's more of an appearance thing though. Personally I don't like the look of 22's and in fact if Ram had a halfway decent looking 18" I'd have looked for them, plus the tires are cheaper. There is also an element of off-road ability...smaller wheel, bigger sidewall has an advantage there.

Good luck with the new truck!
The standard tire and wheel for the Laramie is a 275/65R18 with this wheel:
JalGZXRJfbGr0xekbNt0zCi5Eth7&&width=256&height=256.jpg
I don't think that's a bad looking wheel.

Last edited:

Daniel Prather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m looking at changing from my 22’s to the Rebel 18” wheel using a 275/70/18 Duratrak tire. I hate the 22’s. Seem to hit every curb in drive thrus. My Limited has the long wheel base. Has anyone done this change? And did it work out?