2001 Dashboard replace or cover.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bengals2023

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L FI OHV 8cyl
I just got a 2001 1500 given to me , I have been watching videos about replacing the dash. Most seem to be covers that go over the existing dash. Is this because it is cheaper or easier, or both. Should I replace or cover?

M60A3 Driver

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Covering the old dash is the most cost effective and easiest method in my opinion. I guess it depends on what the rest of the interior/exterior looks like. If it's beat up, then I would just cover the dash. If your truck is perfect and the only thing wrong is the dash, then you might want to replace it.

OP
OP
B

bengals2023

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L FI OHV 8cyl
Thanks for replying. The interior is in near perfect shape with the exception being the dash, and a cigarette burn on the upholstery. I wasn't sure if covering it would make it look cheap and out of place. It would be better off either way because the previous owner cut a piece of carpet to lay on top of it. I seen the replacements are more expensive, and look like they are hard to install. It's a 2001 1500 quadcab with 60k miles on it. I seen some nice prices on Ebay for covers, is that a bad place to buy parts? Or do you have any recommendations for a nice site to check out some parts?

Elvira

Reaction score
I have seen some very nice covers for dash boards, custom fit and in a variety of materials. Like a member stated, depending on the rest of your truck, is it leather with stitching, high end with luxory accents ? If it is just a nice stock interior with out the higher end extras, I would cover it. Saving you a lot of time and giving you the opportunity to make it a little custom to you. Do your homework online for companies that make covers, don't cheap out for something chinese made. Ebay is fine to buy from if you're using PayPal.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Covering it will probably improve its appearance by a lot ,if it’s not enough then go to the next step. Congrats on the free ride !

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the upper dash pad in my old 2001 that my dad now has. I thought of using a cover instead, but after thinking about it, I chose the replacement. Those original dashes are just going to continue cracking and pieces falling inside if you use a cover. Eventually, there'll be little left for the cover to sit on.

Replacing the upper dash pad is not easy especially if you are doing it yourself. You'll have to drop the steering column and rotate the entire dash down. Might be a good time to replace the heater core since, in Dodge's infinite wisdom, that's the only way to get to it instead of Ford's simple way of just taking the glove box out. Hopefully, you'll have a friend who can help.