2001 Ram 1500 4x4 Off-Road Edition Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have a 2001 Ram 1500 Off-Road Edition that has some issues. When I go to accelerate and get around 2500 to 3000 rpms, it starts jerking. Not sure what the cause is. Today, I applied the brake, put it in drive, revved it up with the brake still applied, and it ******, then died when it got around 2500 to 3000 rpm. Did some research and seen a number of things people posted that could be wrong; plugs to rotor cap, O2 sensors, etc. I unplugged the O2 sensors and that's definitely not the issue and when I did, I noticed it didn't throw a check engine light. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if it's the transmission or what it is. It's the only vehicle I have and my way to work.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Do you feel the same thing if you rev the engine that high when in park? That will tell you if its the engine or transmission. Judging by your description it could be either one.

If is is the engine, you would first start with basic maintenance items (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor) if they haven't been replaced or look worn.

If its the transmission, the first thing to check is the fluid level. Make sure the vehicle is level, warmed to operating temperature, and the transmission is in NEUTRAL, before checking the fluid. If low, add some ATF+4. After the fluid check, next thing would be to consider replacing the transmission governor pressure sensor and solenoid.

Do the easy things first and verify what the issue is before throwing parts at it!

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
T

TJ Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Fluid level was fine, although there was some really fine metal particles in the fluid. There wasn't any large or even medium size metal shavings or chunks. Plugs and all that stuff are new though. Talked to local transmission shop and the guy said it sounded like the transmission needs a rebuild or overhaul. So I'm going to just rebuild and get new torque converter.