2001 Ram 1500 5.2l Crank, no start; replaced many component's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milrite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
My 2001 Ram 1500 has a 5.2l and is an automatic. Replaced the fuel pump, coil, cap & rotor, alternator, crank sensor, cam sensor, and purchased a re-man PCM and still have same issue; Crank, no start and fuel injection pulse is not there. Can anyone help with this issue. I have done countless tests of wiring, sensor tests, etc. to no avail. I was driving home one evening and all of the sudden it just died. Changed the CKMP after testing the original, which tested bad and tried to start and got RPM for a brief second, then back to the same issue. Tested new CKMP and it tested bad. Now I am at odds as to where to go next. Can't find any info on resistance at the CKMP connector on the harness side. Tested with battery disconnected and had high values. The truck will fire up and get around 1000 RPM with starting fluid and die right out. No fuel to the cylinder. RPM gauge registers when cranking. Re-man PCM was installed and gave a P0753 code, which led down a rabbit hole to nothing. re-installed original re-man PCM and no codes. All relays work and test fine. Where to next?

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Sounds like you are not getting fuel. I am not an expert by any means, but as I recall part of the pollution standards there is a container that holds charcoal type beads and if the diaphram breaks the beads get into the fuel system and plug it up. I had it happen to me years ago in the 80's. The charcoal container was literally a "Coffee can" bolted to the fender.
Pull the air filter, pump the throttle see, if you have fuel, if not trace back to a blockage/Equipment fail !

OP
OP
M

Milrite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
This unit is fuel injected. I do appreciate the response and did have a code s few weeks ago about an evaporative canister issue. I will hunt down your suggestion and verify. In the process of ruling out different scenarios, I have tested various components and ruled out several of the other threads in this and other forums. That is why I posted this thread here, don't have any other problems throughout all other threads that compare to my issue. As of now, I am hunting down the wiring for the CKMP to determine if there is a short in the wiring or if I need to install the PCM that I had purchased. Electrical issues can be so troublesome...

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At this point, I would have to agree with Skatulaki, it sounds like you aren't getting any fuel to the injectors. What is your fuel rail/line pressure? Have you checked your fuel pump relay? I am not sure since I have never worked on a 5.2L, but you may need some kind of adapter to check that as there may be no schrader present. The early 2000s were like that, some had them and some didn't.

And I assume you have spark (air is a given if it cranks) given that you can get it started using starter fluid and you stated your injectors show a pulse. I'm afraid I don't know what a CKMP is, so I can't help you there. Sounds like you opened up the parts cannon on it, it should run like a champ when you're done.

scrounge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked your fuel pump relay?
This is what I was thinking. Also, check the fuel line to make sure it's clear and has no cracks or leaks. And check for vacuum leaks. It's possible that your air filter and/or throttle body are dirty, but, unless the filter is completely clogged, I doubt that either would cause stalling.

It could be a bad connection to the PCM. I had this problem with a '92 Dakota; pushing in the connector would help for a few days, but I'd have to keep doing it, until I fixed it with JB Weld. Or you could have a frayed wire somewhere. Good luck tracing it.

irwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
whats a CKMP, i'm having a similar issue when my truck gets to running temp it dies. crank no start.