2001 Ram 1500 speedometer/tripometer not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Semper Fat Marine

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 sport
Engine
5.9L magnum
Hello All,
I’m fairly new here and really joined to aide in my DIY of working on my truck which is. 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 sport 2WD 5.9l. My current issue:
Few months back, somehow someway my driveshaft came apart at my yoke and rear end. I decided, since I got to take it all apart, might as well upgrade the entire thing… that was the excuse I used when telling my wife I had to fix it.
So I upgraded my stock 3.55’s to a Yukon duragrip LSD with 3.92 gears.
After successful completion I go to begin putting miles on it for breakin.
I notice that it’s running a bit rough & that my speedometer and tripometer do not work. Shortly after noticing this,ONLY my engine comes on. I took it home, installed scan tool, and saw P0500 VSS. Unsure of exactly which one it was referring to, I bought both the VSS for differential and Outboard speed sensor for transmission. Neither fixed problem. I programmed PCM to stock mode, reset P0500 code, disconnected battery and reconnected then went out and ran truck again. Same issue. P0500, so I do electrical testing to ABS module and fuses, all were good. Decided, maybe signal from ABS module to pcm is bad so I replaced ABS module and still did not fix issue.
Can anyone help? I am stuck and not sure where to go from here.
Truck does have many upgrades/modifications.