2001 Ram 2500 SLT good deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Cliffordthe6Stick

Cliffordthe6Stick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Manual is more fun to drive anyway! I'm not so sure I would've bought it with an automatic. Not as fun and like you said, not as reliable.
And yeah, I would love to see what a modern V10 would be like. Everyone gave up on them too soon!
Can't wait to have time to get some fun stuff on my truck like that. But since I'm moving out of state who knows when that will happen :confused:

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manual is more fun to drive anyway! I'm not so sure I would've bought it with an automatic. Not as fun and like you said, not as reliable.
And yeah, I would love to see what a modern V10 would be like. Everyone gave up on them too soon!
Can't wait to have time to get some fun stuff on my truck like that. But since I'm moving out of state who knows when that will happen :confused:
Nice buy! I owned many Cummins and a few 2nd gens. Even did gasser swaps on 2 of them. Diesels are cheap where I Get my trucks because they are a son of a gun to start in the winter. My 2002 Ram 2500 24V with 6 spd and pto (with a swapped in 12V and 5spd) I paid $800 and it's in damn good shape. I gasser swapped it

OP
OP
Cliffordthe6Stick

Cliffordthe6Stick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Well, Moose has been great to drive but I had an issue where the throttle body OR the IACV got too dirty and caused performance problems. That's all good now. But, this time, I had driven it about 1/2 a mile and I heard a weird noise from under the hood. I pulled over almost immediately to go check under it, and behold, a broken tensioner pulley which had started a small flame and seemed to cause the alternator to spark. My dad was in the truck and thankfully turned it off before it got worse. The flame went out itself, thank goodness. It happened in just the right spot where we could coast and land it at a tire/mechanic shop a pretty short jaunt down the hill. Very thankful for that anyway!
I'm gonna go buy a fire extinguisher when it's fixed. Lesson learned. xP

Daniel Andrews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 24v Cummins Turbo Diesel
Holy Mackeral!! If I didn't know better and take the time to go look thru the window to see if it was still here I would swear that was my truck in the photograph. I have a 2001 Ram with the 5.9 diesel and just turned 101,000 miles. The only difference that I can see in the pic from the truck sitting in my driveway is that your truck has yellow headache lights on top where my truck does not. Oh, I have never had a single problem with my truck so here is hoping that you never have any problems either.

OP
OP
Cliffordthe6Stick

Cliffordthe6Stick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Holy Mackeral!! If I didn't know better and take the time to go look thru the window to see if it was still here I would swear that was my truck in the photograph. I have a 2001 Ram with the 5.9 diesel and just turned 101,000 miles. The only difference that I can see in the pic from the truck sitting in my driveway is that your truck has yellow headache lights on top where my truck does not. Oh, I have never had a single problem with my truck so here is hoping that you never have any problems either.
That's cool. I love the looks of our brown Rams!
It has a few issues beyond what I've already posted. Pretty sure there's a vacuum leak somewhere because speed control won't set (hose that connects servo to the intake is disconnected on the intake end, not sure where it hooks up) and also, 4wd won't engage sitting still. Thankfully it can engage, but the truck has to be moving when shifting into it.
Then, it usually ticks for 5-10 seconds when starting it cold.
Thankfully, nothing too crippling! It's a pretty awesome truck. It gets complimented pretty regularly too!