Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 Ram 4x4 Sport Restoration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spike95, Jun 15, 2020.

1. DodgeLady

DodgeLady Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 L
    How many miles in your engine?
    I’ve read about the plenum gasket also - but no way would I try this repair myself! Watched a video.

I don’t burn/lose oil so maybe mine is not a problem. I do have low power but always attributed to high mileage engine.

When I’ve mentioned it to mechanics they don’t recommend putting ANY work into my 323k mile engine. Kind of frustrating.

I’ll be interested to hear how you come out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike95 likes this.
  2. Spike95

Spike95 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have 215k on my engine. If you’re not consuming any oil at all after 300k then that’s awesome!
    im actually a heavy truck technician, so I’m not too scared of trying the job.
    I’m only nervous about doing all of this work because I don’t have a lot of free time on my hands, and I always have to have it done within the span of a single weekend. I am fortunate that my employer will let me work on it at our shop over the weekend, but come hell or high water, it has to be out of there by Monday morning... even if that means getting it towed to my house. I am not quite to the point where I have a full second set of tools at home yet. Also sucks for my family if I spend my entire weekend at work.

DodgeLady likes this.
  3. Spike95

Spike95 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    One little thing I did this weekend... I still had a little play in the steering wheel after replacing all of the linkage and damper. I made a small adjustment to my steering box sector shaft. Only did 1/8 of a turn. Best to be very conservative, because you can screw stuff up if you go too far. Made a nice difference. Not going to fix your front end if everything is loose, but having already done the rest, it was the icing on the cake. Took about 5 minutes including finding the right tools.