2001 Ram - can someone explain when or why the A/C compressor is engaged?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar~Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2001 Ram, regular cab, 2-wd, Laramie (leather interior) 5.2L engine, about 42k miles, bought it new, don't drive it that much. I don't use the A/C that often, usually in the summer I'll just have the windows open. A few years ago I noticed the A/C compressor was engaging and then dis-engaging way too often, even though I didn't have the cabin control set to A/C. So I unplugged the compressor clutch wire and problem solved.

Earlier this year when I did a highway trip and naturally had the windows closed I had re-connected the clutch but I had practically no cooling. Long story short I used a can of Red-Tek and brought the freon up and the clutch cycled way less often and I get nice cooling. Might need to dump another can into it.

But what I'm really wondering - the interior hvac control knob has 2 settings that are obviously marked as A/C. One has the A/C symbol and a duct arrow (either floor or dash) and the other setting says something like "Max A/C". So I'm assuming that the only time the A/C should engage should be either of those 2 A/C settings and also for the defrost setting. So when I only want outdoor air to come in (upper duct, floor duct or both) the A/C should not engage - but I find that it does (hence that's why I unplugged the clutch wire). I also find that even on a cool day (ie 55 to 65 f) that when I have the temp knob all the way to the cold side (and again no A/C because clutch is disconnected) that the air coming into the cab is not very cool. It's not hot, but it's not as cool as outdoor ambient. Is this normal? Or was the A/C always designed to kick-on regardless of the position of the selector knob?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2001 Ram, regular cab, 2-wd, Laramie (leather interior) 5.2L engine, about 42k miles, bought it new, don't drive it that much. I don't use the A/C that often, usually in the summer I'll just have the windows open. A few years ago I noticed the A/C compressor was engaging and then dis-engaging way too often, even though I didn't have the cabin control set to A/C. So I unplugged the compressor clutch wire and problem solved.

Earlier this year when I did a highway trip and naturally had the windows closed I had re-connected the clutch but I had practically no cooling. Long story short I used a can of Red-Tek and brought the freon up and the clutch cycled way less often and I get nice cooling. Might need to dump another can into it.

But what I'm really wondering - the interior hvac control knob has 2 settings that are obviously marked as A/C. One has the A/C symbol and a duct arrow (either floor or dash) and the other setting says something like "Max A/C". So I'm assuming that the only time the A/C should engage should be either of those 2 A/C settings and also for the defrost setting. So when I only want outdoor air to come in (upper duct, floor duct or both) the A/C should not engage - but I find that it does (hence that's why I unplugged the clutch wire). I also find that even on a cool day (ie 55 to 65 f) that when I have the temp knob all the way to the cold side (and again no A/C because clutch is disconnected) that the air coming into the cab is not very cool. It's not hot, but it's not as cool as outdoor ambient. Is this normal? Or was the A/C always designed to kick-on regardless of the position of the selector knob?
The compressor clutch should only engage when you have the mode control knob on one of the two modes with the snowflake or in the defrost setting. If the compressor clutch is engaging when the mode control knob is not on one of those three settings then the clutch is receiving a ground from somewhere to allow it to engage.

Now, when you only want unconditioned air in the cab I.E. no A/C selected on the control head, the temperature of the air that is allowed in to the cab by the recirc door will be warmer than the ambient air outside because it is drawing in heat from the engine compartment.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Mopar-Man: Fast69Mopar got it right. The compressor cycling when you want cooling is an indication that the lowpressure sensor is sensing that there isn't enough freon in the system. Probably due to a leak. If its not bad, you could just put in a can of R134a and see if it starts cooling better. If the freon charge is sufficient, the compressor should stay on continuiously while it's cooling the interior of cab. The compressor will cycle in the winter time if you have the defroster setting on your climate control. The ac compressor runs to dehumidify the interior to clear the fog off the inside of your windshield.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mopar-Man: Fast69Mopar got it right. The compressor cycling when you want cooling is an indication that the lowpressure sensor is sensing that there isn't enough freon in the system. Probably due to a leak. If its not bad, you could just put in a can of R134a and see if it starts cooling better. If the freon charge is sufficient, the compressor should stay on continuiously while it's cooling the interior of cab. The compressor will cycle in the winter time if you have the defroster setting on your climate control. The ac compressor runs to dehumidify the interior to clear the fog off the inside of your windshield.
The compressor kicks on when in defrost mode also to keep things(PAG oil,refrigerant) circulating over the winter months,

OP
OP
M

Mopar~Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My issue is that the compressor seems to want to come on regardless what position the HVAC control dial is in, other than OFF. When it started cycling a lot because it had low freon it was irritating to hear it come on and off and I unplugged the connector that powered the clutch and left it like for months at a time until I really wanted cooling then I'd plug it back in, but then (as indicated in first post) that's when I realized why it was cycling (because of low freon). I don't drive it much during the winter so this issue won't get resolved or looked at any time soon but I'm wondering why the climate control system is turning the compressor on when I'm not calling for cab cooling - just ventilation.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Just a fyi, the compressor should run in the defrost positions, this helps remove moisture from the air.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk