2001 SPORT model. headlight question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oregonramdriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 & 2001
Engine
5.2 & 5.9 gas.
I've got a 2001 ram 1500 sport. The sport has 4 headlight bulbs, both are dual element. On low beam it feels like we don't even have our lights on at all, esp when it's raining or the roads are wet. So today I was checking it out and found that on low beam only the outbourd bulbs are lit up. On high beam all 4 bulbs are lit though. Wondering if something is wrong here?

More info: the original lights were glaved over and the lenses fell off of one, so I bought some aftermarket oem style replacement light assemblies off eBay. At first my dad (it's his truck) said it was great and he could see wonderfully. That was about a year ago, maybe. Now lately he's been complaining he can't see. I've driven it and it is pretty bad on low beam. I have a 2000 with the regular 2 bulbs and I can see fine. Anyways, today I just installed some Sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs today, $25 a piece! Haven't driven it yet to test at night, but wondering why all 4 bulbs wouldn't be lit up on low beam.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I think it's a focus issue - it would be hard to direct the inner low beams where they wouldn't blind oncoming drivers and also have the hi beams where they want them to be.

I don't know of any factory headlight systems that fire all 4 low beams.

The single bulb systems use 9004 bulbs. The dual bulb systems use the same 9004 bulbs for the inner hi beams, and 9007s for the outer low beams. The filaments in the 9004 bulb are mounted differently than the ones in the 9007, which changes the focal points of the bulbs. Putting the bulbs in the wrong locations usually causes poor performance and focus issues.

If you go through the MANY posts on the subject, you will find posts where people are wiring their 4 bulb systems to burn all 4 bulbs on low beams, with varying opinions on results. If you do so, expect to have oncoming drivers flash their brights at you often. There are wiring kits to install relays to get the maximum power to the bulbs, which maximizes brightness and reduces the amp load through the switch - a good idea. You can also wire in a toggle switch to fire the inner low beams along with the outers.

Hope this helps. Willie

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
2 outer bulbs only on low is correct. If you're still not very impressed after you see how those Sylvanias are, hop on amazon and get philips. Their Extreme Vision bulbs are $25 for the pair, are brighter and last longer.

I won't run Sylvania in anything i own. Their "super bright super high end $25/ea" bulbs are on par with a Phillips Diamond Vision. The Diamond Visions have a whiter light which is somewhat visually appealing but nowhere near as effective as the Crystal Visions and better yet the Extreme Visions

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I bought aftermarket from k2 motors for my lights. projectors with HIDs installed in the lows.
View media item 3835